Neuroscientists say brains of Apple fanatics the same as religious fanatics

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2011, 06:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2011, 09:22:07 AM
What a strange thing to research.
This project made possible by a grant from The William H. and Melinda F. Gates Foundation.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

From the comments:

Our Father, who art in Cupertino, Steve Jobs be thy name.

Thy iPad come, Thy will be done, no Flash as it is unstable.

:lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

I think it's an interesting & relevant topic from several angles.  Though, while I enjoy mocking iFanbois I suspect that there are other brands or non-religious causes that would give similar results.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on May 23, 2011, 11:28:54 AM

I think it's an interesting & relevant topic from several angles.  Though, while I enjoy mocking iFanbois I suspect that there are other brands or non-religious causes that would give similar results.

I suspect you are correct.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Lol.. funny thread, some good comments and pics! I love the Apple logo on the flags, with the marching soldiers!   :D

Slargos

Berkut

Of course - the point isn't that Apple fanatics are unique. There is nothing "special" about Apple fundies. The point is just that fundyism, while typically religious in nature, is not actually a fundamentally religious phenomenon.

It is of no great surprise that the Apple fanbois are irrational about their allegiance in a very similar fashion to how religious fanatics are irrational.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:30:21 AM
Quote from: Slargos on May 23, 2011, 01:18:36 AM
Unsurprising. People need religion even if they won't admit it to themselves.

Cult of Diversity or Cult of Apple, it matters not.

Is there a Cult of Being a Hateful Asshole Loser? If so, you'd be the Pope.

I suspect they would get similar results with political extremists of all stripes.

Barrister

I left this alone at first, but since the thread keeps getting posts...

what a load of horseshit!  The source is not some academic journal (now that would be interesting), but is a BBC documentary called "Secrets of Superbrands".  Their "proof" is comparing MRIs - okay interesting, but we know little or what MRIs actually are showing us.  So brains of people who identify as religious are similar in some respect to people who identify as being Apple fans.  The why ro how however is completely unknown.

Then the rest of the article is where the real crap starts flowing.  They go from the vaguely scientific MRIs to one journalist comparing an Apple store to a cathedral, and another journalist comparing the opening of an apple store to a revivalist prayer meeting.  Nothing scientific here - just a story looking for some self-confirming quotes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on May 24, 2011, 09:39:16 AM

what a load of horseshit!  The source is not some academic journal (now that would be interesting), but is a BBC documentary called "Secrets of Superbrands".  Their "proof" is comparing MRIs - okay interesting, but we know little or what MRIs actually are showing us.  So brains of people who identify as religious are similar in some respect to people who identify as being Apple fans.  The why ro how however is completely unknown.

Then the rest of the article is where the real crap starts flowing.  They go from the vaguely scientific MRIs to one journalist comparing an Apple store to a cathedral, and another journalist comparing the opening of an apple store to a revivalist prayer meeting.  Nothing scientific here - just a story looking for some self-confirming quotes.

I agree we know little or what MRIs actually are showing us. The why ro how however really is completely unknown.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on May 24, 2011, 09:44:13 AM

I agree we know little or what MRIs actually are showing us. The why ro how however really is completely unknown.

It is interesting how the Apple fanatic gets all frothing and incoherent when his brand is perceived to be under some kind of "attack", even when said attack is strictly observational in nature.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Your Apple fanaticism must be blinding you - to the fact that any serious response to the bullshit pseudo-science "theory" in the OP is, predictably, going to result in you being trolled.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on May 24, 2011, 09:31:12 AM

Of course - the point isn't that Apple fanatics are unique. There is nothing "special" about Apple fundies. The point is just that fundyism, while typically religious in nature, is not actually a fundamentally religious phenomenon.

It is of no great surprise that the Apple fanbois are irrational about their allegiance in a very similar fashion to how religious fanatics are irrational.

What are you fanatical and irrational about?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Sounds liek something a fanatic would say when confronted with his fanatasism :contract: :P

i don't care if other have made the joke already :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.