Neuroscientists say brains of Apple fanatics the same as religious fanatics

Started by jimmy olsen, May 22, 2011, 06:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

We need to get one of those cult deprogramers on Beeb, stat!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43126515/ns/business-consumer_news/

QuoteDon't call them fanboys now, call them acolytes
Why are they so loyal to brand? Scientists say it affects their brain same as religion

By Alyson Shontell
Business Insider
updated 1 hour 27 minutes ago 2011-05-22T20:14:21

The cult of Apple is real, according to neuroscientists.

They compared MRIs of Apple fans' brains to those of people who call themselves "very religious" and found that Apple and religion light up the same part of the brain. This means that Apple triggers the same feelings and reactions in people as religion.

The BBC highlights the finding in an upcoming documentary, "Secrets of Superbrands."

The documentary also likens Apple Stores to cathedrals. "Apple stores often feature stone or other types of austere, simple flooring like a church with products mounted on pedestals like individual altars," writes Inc's Renee Oricchio.

Apple store launches are like religious experiences too. "The scenes I witnessed at the opening of the new Apple store in London's Covent Garden were more like an evangelical prayer meeting than a chance to buy a phone or a laptop," writes Alex Riley and Adam Boome of the BBC.

"Inside the store, glassy-eyed staff were whipped up into a frenzy of excitement, jumping up and down, clapping and shouting. When the doors finally opened, they hysterically 'high-fived' and cheered hundreds of delirious customers flooding in through the doors for hours on end."

It seems Steve Jobs really is a God to some people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Slargos

Unsurprising. People need religion even if they won't admit it to themselves.

Cult of Diversity or Cult of Apple, it matters not.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on May 23, 2011, 01:18:36 AM

Is there a Cult of Being a Hateful Asshole Loser? If so, you'd be the Pope.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2011, 01:30:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:13:54 AM
Must be a slow news day.

Are you saying this is so obvious to be a "dog bites man" story?  :hmm:

Yes and no. I am not surprised that people who attending live store openings are crazy, in the same way as people who attend live game releases or royal weddings. But the article seems to draw conclusions about Apple users based on the actions of these fanatics, which is silly.

Valdemar

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:30:21 AM

Is there a Cult of Being a Hateful Asshole Loser? If so, you'd be the Pope.

Tame.. you should be able to do better than that by now :D

V

Pat

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:31:37 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2011, 01:30:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:13:54 AM
Must be a slow news day.

Are you saying this is so obvious to be a "dog bites man" story?  :hmm:

Yes and no. I am not surprised that people who attending live store openings are crazy, in the same way as people who attend live game releases or royal weddings. But the article seems to draw conclusions about Apple users based on the actions of these fanatics, which is silly.

Crazy? Those parts of the brain that it activates are there for a reason. What's crazy is not to use them, and what's really crazy is that stupid old religions and Apple is the best we can come up with to do so.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:31:37 AM
Actually, the conclusions about Apple users are based on brain studies.  Sorry that this hits so close to home, but it does explain your antipathy for other, non-Apple, religions.  The most devout are often the least tolerant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Minsky Moment

Unsurpising.  Some people will uncritically accept virtually anything they read, regardless of how weak the proof.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I only uncritically accept the facts that make people who disagree with me look bad.  :smarty:

Tamas

Josquius

██████
██████
██████