News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Yes, still dealing with it
9 (19.6%)
Yes, though I've gotten better
4 (8.7%)
Not diagnosed, but I'm sure I could be (or could have been at some point)
19 (41.3%)
No, not something I deal with
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Siege

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM
I'm just curious. There are many people I know who have or have had issues with depression. I've heard that it's a disease of the high IQ, meaning the smarter you are the more like you are to deal with it. Since Languish is, in general, smarter than the average populace, I wondered if depression was more common here than elsewhere.

Alcohol cures despression.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Of course not.  Life is good, even when it wasn't.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2011, 07:22:22 PM
Btw, not sure I'm understanding but is Marti saying that he's been depressed a lot?

Nope. Which part do you mean?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2011, 01:42:32 PM
If I were to self-diagnose (which is notoriously unreliable), I'd say I have ADHD, Asperger's, NPD and/or HPD, but not depression. I have an immense ability to live in denial and think that I have a great love life, a wonderful career and that everybody likes me. :P

:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

This thread is why I enjoy this forum. You just cant buy comedy like this.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Btw, not sure I'm understanding but is Marti saying that he's been depressed a lot?
I understood from his post that he didn't get depressed because he didn't have human feelings.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jos Theelen

Both my granddads had a depression and my father had a depression, when they were old. So I assume there will come one for me after some time   :cry:

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2011, 02:44:34 PM
My life right now - definitely not depressing.
One does not need to be in a depressing situation in order to be depressed.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2011, 05:56:48 AM
I understood from his post that he didn't get depressed because he didn't have human feelings.

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2011, 01:33:13 AM

Nope. Which part do you mean?

It's generally a bit rude to post more than once in a thread about depression about how you have a positive self-image. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2011, 05:56:48 AM
This. I think I'm (moderately) sociopathic.

Caliga

That's ok.  I think lots of people are, actually.  Not all sociopaths are serial killers.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 09:24:49 AM
That's ok.  I think lots of people are, actually.  Not all sociopaths are serial killers.

No, that is not okay...:huh:

Camerus

I was quite depressed a few years ago, but I do pretty well these days.  Never took any meds.

I still struggle with SAD (seasonal affective disorder), for which I sometimes think the best cure might just be leaving Canada and its cold, endless winters behind.