News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Yes, still dealing with it
9 (19.6%)
Yes, though I've gotten better
4 (8.7%)
Not diagnosed, but I'm sure I could be (or could have been at some point)
19 (41.3%)
No, not something I deal with
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

merithyn

I'm just curious. There are many people I know who have or have had issues with depression. I've heard that it's a disease of the high IQ, meaning the smarter you are the more like you are to deal with it. Since Languish is, in general, smarter than the average populace, I wondered if depression was more common here than elsewhere.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Slargos

Quote from: merithyn on May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM
I'm just curious. There are many people I know who have or have had issues with depression. I've heard that it's a disease of the high IQ, meaning the smarter you are the more like you are to deal with it. Since Languish is, in general, smarter than the average populace, I wondered if depression was more common here than elsewhere.

You're working from a premise I find highly dubious.  :P

As for the question: I resist diagnosis. IDK.  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Yes. Better at the moment, but knowing what it is and recognising it makes it a bit easier to cope with. I just wasn't myself on the meds.

Norgy

I'm just curious. There are many people I know who have or have had issues with depression.

Yes. More or less a permanent fixture, so I am not sure what life without would be like. Or, it'd be like when I was in high school, I suppose. Less self-doubt and a bit more enjoyment.
Apparently, I have gone from severe depression to light/moderate the past three years.  :)

Of course, being Scandiweenian, depression sort of just happens. Most people I know have periods either every year or at some point in their lives. And the symptoms and effects are just as varied as the causes, I think. Some are completely paralyzed, while others function more or less like other people but isolate themselves more. I fall into that category. 

The best cure seems to have been a blend of cognitive therapy, light medication and increased cardio excercise. The last part may seem strange, but it gets the metabolism going, produces more good hormones and helps regulate sleep patterns in my case.

Viking

Agree with Norgy. Once I identified my triggers it all became easy to deal with.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

No, never been diagnosed.  I don't think it's related to IQ though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

If I were to self-diagnose (which is notoriously unreliable), I'd say I have ADHD, Asperger's, NPD and/or HPD, but not depression. I have an immense ability to live in denial and think that I have a great love life, a wonderful career and that everybody likes me. :P

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on May 22, 2011, 01:17:42 PM
No, never been diagnosed.  I don't think it's related to IQ though.

I'm not saying that all people with high IQs get depression. I have read somewhere, however, that those with higher IQs are more prone to depression than the general populace. (The article I read was specific to "gifted" kids in college, though, so I don't know if it translates well across the lines to others.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza2

I know several people who had (or still have) a depression. Based on that, I'd say I never had one.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on May 22, 2011, 01:05:13 PM

Yes. More or less a permanent fixture, so I am not sure what life without would be like. Or, it'd be like when I was in high school, I suppose. Less self-doubt and a bit more enjoyment.

The only time when I might have suffered from depression was in high school.  I wasn't super picked on or anything, I just didn't have any friends as was pretty lonely.

But since the age of 17 (when I went to university) life has gotten better pretty much every single year.  My life right now - definitely not depressing.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

You don't need an M.D. or M.A. to figure out that I suffer from depression (it was, in retrospect, obvious--even when I was a small child), although I have latterly gotten a professional diagnosis.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Was told I was probally bi-poplar by a doctor once, avoided shrinks, have had depressive times but not right now.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2011, 01:42:32 PM
If I were to self-diagnose (which is notoriously unreliable), I'd say I have ADHD, Asperger's, NPD and/or HPD, but not depression. I have an immense ability to live in denial and think that I have a great love life, a wonderful career and that everybody likes me. :P

I think Narcissism is correct.  The rest of it is just your stunning stupidity.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

And yes, I do have depression.  Dysthymia was the diagnosis I was given after last round of tests.  Along with the Schizotypal thingy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017