News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Yes, still dealing with it
9 (19.6%)
Yes, though I've gotten better
4 (8.7%)
Not diagnosed, but I'm sure I could be (or could have been at some point)
19 (41.3%)
No, not something I deal with
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Caliga

I've been happy for most of my entire life.  Exceptions would be at various points in my childhood, but I haven't been generally unhappy at all since college.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on May 22, 2011, 04:31:14 PM
I've been happy for most of my entire life.  Exceptions would be at various points in my childhood, but I haven't been generally unhappy at all since college.

Same. And whenever I am feeling down, I find throwing myself into activity, such as work etc., to be stimulating. So this sounds opposite of depression as far as I am aware.

LaCroix

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on May 22, 2011, 04:34:52 PM
Same. And whenever I am feeling down, I find throwing myself into activity, such as work etc., to be stimulating. So this sounds opposite of depression as far as I am aware.
:yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I have suffered from recession, but never depression.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 22, 2011, 05:37:43 PM
I have suffered from recession, but never depression.

My hair is depressed because of the recession.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

I've had panic attacks, but not clinical depression.

Monoriu

I do not believe that depression is a medical condition that could or should be treated.  Many will doubtless disagree, but I think it is just another word for general unhappiness.  So no, no matter how unhappy I am, I am not going to a medical professional and say: I'm unhappy, please give me drugs. 

Having said all that, there were periods in my life when I was really unhappy, most notably when I was in Canada.  I felt I was alone against the whole world.  I kept doing everything possible to graduate as soon as possible and to find work, but everybody just treated that effort as madness, pointless, and futile.  As if I should party.  I was in no mood to do anything, just basically stayed home most of the time.  Sometimes I wonder if some may call it "depression", though I certainly won't. 

The cure was simple.  Decide to go back to HK and boom, before I stepped on the plane, I got an offer and all problems magically disappeared. 

CountDeMoney

The hive mind has tremendous recuperative powers, doesn't it, Locutus?

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on May 22, 2011, 07:17:57 PM
Many will doubtless disagree 

It isn't even worth it to disagree when you are just plain wrong. :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, not sure I'm understanding but is Marti saying that he's been depressed a lot?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 22, 2011, 07:21:27 PM
The hive mind has tremendous recuperative powers, doesn't it, Locutus?

Money did the trick  :P

LaCroix

Quote from: Monoriu on May 22, 2011, 07:17:57 PMI do not believe that depression is a medical condition that could or should be treated.  Many will doubtless disagree, but I think it is just another word for general unhappiness.  So no, no matter how unhappy I am, I am not going to a medical professional and say: I'm unhappy, please give me drugs.

nah, some people suffer from depression because they are genetically inclined to. others develop it after a traumatic event. i'm sure a portion falls into your category, but not nearly everyone. true depression isn't "unhappiness," it is an emotional emptiness that can stifle productivity. many people overuse the term, or misapply it to situations (such as lonely introversion), but that does not diminish its importance as a label for those who really do have chronic issues with it. some are genetically unlucky, and others had fathers who crawled into bed with them, and for them depression fits

DontSayBanana

Yes, among other things, which I've actually just started treatment for within the past couple weeks.
Experience bij!