News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Started by merithyn, May 22, 2011, 12:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you ever been diagnosed with depression?

Yes, still dealing with it
9 (19.6%)
Yes, though I've gotten better
4 (8.7%)
Not diagnosed, but I'm sure I could be (or could have been at some point)
19 (41.3%)
No, not something I deal with
14 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

garbon

I think you took that before and also showed up high in those two areas. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2011, 11:52:02 AM
I think you took that before and also showed up high in those two areas. :P

There is also a depression test there. I got:

Disorder Your Score
Major Depression: Very Slight
Dysthymia: Very Slight
Bipolar Disorder: Very Slight
Cyclothymia: Slight
Seasonal Affective Disorder: Slight
Postpartum Depression: N/A

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2011, 11:40:40 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 11:05:10 AM
I think Raz is confusing a sociopath with a psychopath.  Psychopaths are the ones who have very little self-control and often explode with rage.  Sociopaths OTOH have an unusual amount of self-control.

Does the DSM make a distinction?

I don't think so.   I thought Psychopathy was an older term.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2011, 11:40:40 AM
Does the DSM make a distinction?
I don't remember.  I have read the DSM-IV (my mother has all that stuff on account of her job), but that was years ago.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2011, 12:00:05 PM
I don't think so.   I thought Psychopathy was an older term.
:hmm: I want to say they were grouped in with Antisocial Personality Disorder, but again not entirely sure.

Caliga

Paranoid:  Low
Schizoid:  High
Schizotypal:  Low
Antisocial:  Low
Borderline:  Low
Histrionic:  Low
Narcissistic:  High
Avoidant:  Low
Dependent:  Low
Obsessive-Compulsive:  Moderate

:hmm:

Caliga

Major Depression: Very Slight
Dysthymia: Very Slight
Bipolar Disorder: Very Slight
Cyclothymia: Very Slight
Seasonal Affective Disorder: Slight

Winter SUCKS. :mad:

Otherwise, I'm an excellent person. :showoff:

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 12:19:42 PM
Paranoid:  Low
Schizoid:  High
Schizotypal:  Low
Antisocial:  Low
Borderline:  Low
Histrionic:  Low
Narcissistic:  High
Avoidant:  Low
Dependent:  Low
Obsessive-Compulsive:  Moderate

:hmm:

Yeah, that's not very scientific I don't think.  It does have rewording of questions and different shading, like a real test, but I doubt it has the mechanisms to properly calculate it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 12:14:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2011, 12:00:05 PM
I don't think so.   I thought Psychopathy was an older term.
:hmm: I want to say they were grouped in with Antisocial Personality Disorder, but again not entirely sure.

I think they have both been subsumed by it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2011, 12:28:19 PM
It seems strange to not differentiate between the two. :hmm:  Maybe they were finding that most individuals who exhibit one also exhibit some degree of the other so it became a spectrum disorder? :contract:

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2011, 12:27:42 PM
Yeah, that's not very scientific I don't think.  It does have rewording of questions and different shading, like a real test, but I doubt it has the mechanisms to properly calculate it.
The one that surprised me is the schizoid finding.  I don't have strange thoughts IMO. :hmm:

The narcissist one isn't surprising... I don't think I have narcissism, but I do have high self-esteem and a large degree of self-confidence, and in a test that short it's probably hard to separate those individuals from the true narcissists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2011, 12:29:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2011, 12:28:19 PM
It seems strange to not differentiate between the two. :hmm:  Maybe they were finding that most individuals who exhibit one also exhibit some degree of the other so it became a spectrum disorder? :contract:

This isn't really an exact science unfortunately.

Eddie Teach

Major Depression: High-Moderate
Dysthymia: High
Bipolar Disorder: Slight
Cyclothymia: Moderate
Seasonal Affective Disorder: High

Also I'm apparently schizotypal and avoidant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2011, 01:09:37 PM

Also I'm apparently schizotypal and avoidant.

They overlap quite a bit.  Though I wouldn't take this test to the bank, other things you've said could suggest a like this.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on May 23, 2011, 08:48:25 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2011, 02:44:34 PM
My life right now - definitely not depressing.
One does not need to be in a depressing situation in order to be depressed.

I don't think I was implying that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.