News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Race and Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, May 18, 2011, 10:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on May 19, 2011, 10:17:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 09:52:12 AMPerhaps but I don't think many parents would see a teacher as a catch.  :sleep:

That's because you use the well to do middle class as your universal measure. Whether it's an affectation to proclaim your belonging to that class or simple parochial ignorance, I'm not sure.

Plenty of parents would see a teacher as a catch.
Teachers are definitely less well regarded in the US than in Canada, for example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 10:31:53 AM
I don't think that's it.  ET's statement was that if parents were to choose suitors in America that Tim would be pretty successful. Perhaps I'm overestimating the degree to which teachers are looked down upon (noble vocation and sacrifice...) but I don't really see that making him a catch.  I certainly don't think any of my teachers would have ever been considered a great catch.  The salary just isn't there unless you are already living below or near the poverty level.

You're underestimating the degree to which some parents hate their daughter's current boyfriend :contract:

Tim's a nice, clean-cut guy with an education and a stable career in front of him.  Contrast that with a tattooed/pierced dude who barely got through high school and has no career prospects, other than the extremely remote chance of his shitty band somehow getting a major record deal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2011, 11:26:57 AM
You're underestimating the degree to which some parents hate their daughter's current boyfriend :contract:

Tim's a nice, clean-cut guy with an education and a stable career in front of him.  Contrast that with a tattooed/pierced dude who barely got through high school and has no career prospects, other than the extremely remote chance of his shitty band somehow getting a major record deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Tim doesn't have a lot going for him.  I'm just saying that if parents were to theoretically be picking out ideal candidates for their children, I don't think teacher would rise to the top.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 11:40:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Tim doesn't have a lot going for him.  I'm just saying that if parents were to theoretically be picking out ideal candidates for their children, I don't think teacher would rise to the top.
Once the doctors, lawyers and NFL quarterbacks are out of the way, they'd do alright.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on May 19, 2011, 11:42:55 AM
Once the doctors, lawyers and NFL quarterbacks are out of the way, they'd do alright.

And business people and professors.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Can Tim pass for white? I've never met him.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 19, 2011, 11:42:55 AM
And business people and professors.
No, they'd be in pretty much the same range as most of those types, barring the successful business owners who would naturally be above the doctors and lawyers but below the QBs.

derspiess

I'd agree that in general, parents would prefer their daughter marry someone with higher income potential than a teacher.  But it would vary how much they would weight that preference vs. individual qualities.  And I would hope most parents would prefer their daughter marry a teacher who treats her like gold to a doctor who is either indifferent to her or treats her like crap.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Let me build a metaphore for you, so you will get a clearer understanding of the point people are trying to make:

Let's say we're out walking [for the sake of this metaphore, let's just assume that we would for some reason] in the forest (or a gay bar, if that's more your thing) and suddenly a Bear comes running straight towards us. Now, I'm going to want to get away, naturally. I don't want to get pounded by a Bear. I don't have to outrun famous Black American sprinter Wilma Rudolph, or even the Bear. I just have to outrun you.

What I'm getting at, is that I only have to be faster, not fastest.

Do you see?

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2011, 11:55:16 AM

Let me build a metaphore for you, so you will get a clearer understanding of the point people are trying to make:

Let's say we're out walking [for the sake of this metaphore, let's just assume that we would for some reason] in the forest (or a gay bar, if that's more your thing) and suddenly a Bear comes running straight towards us. Now, I'm going to want to get away, naturally. I don't want to get pounded by a Bear. I don't have to outrun famous Black American sprinter Wilma Rudolph, or even the Bear. I just have to outrun you.

Do you see?

Heh, one or both of you might *want* to be "pounded by a bear".  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Then again, it seems that most American teachers are pedophiles, so there's a good chance of a prison sentence in their future.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2011, 11:58:29 AM

Do you see?

Why do you always have to sully my jokes with unecessarily adding a punchline that is already subtexted?  :P

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on May 19, 2011, 12:06:04 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 19, 2011, 11:58:29 AM

Do you see?

Why do you always have to sully my jokes with unecessarily adding a punchline that is already subtexted?  :P

Joke ... or Freudian signalling?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Do you see?

No that doesn't help me. Why settle?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on May 19, 2011, 11:55:11 AM

I'd agree that in general, parents would prefer their daughter marry someone with higher income potential than a teacher.  But it would vary how much they would weight that preference vs. individual qualities.  And I would hope most parents would prefer their daughter marry a teacher who treats her like gold to a doctor who is either indifferent to her or treats her like crap.

Fair enough.