Main Menu

Race and Korea

Started by jimmy olsen, May 18, 2011, 10:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 19, 2011, 05:28:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 19, 2011, 05:12:46 AM
I don't get it.
Why do they have some African dude slowly asking about nam san tower?
And is it just me or does the song start with the guy saying 'Jesus milk'?

QuoteExoticness mostly works against you here. I didn't pick the 1950s for nothing when describing the social scene. On the surface at least Korean women are very conservative and most wouldn't touch a foreigner like that. Another problem is most women still live with their parents and have a curfew until they're married.
No, exoticness mostly works against YOU there. :P
I have heard Korea is a good place to get girls for western folk...however folk who couldn't get anything at home aren't going to magically turn into chick magnets in Asia. Still have to try a bit.
I know a couple of dozen guys well here. Only one has had a serious korean girlfriend and he was manwhore back home with dozens of notches in his belt. And it still took him six whole months to figure them out and get a date with a Korean. Almost all of the guys I know here have simply given up and just date the foreign girls.  Some of them had great success in Japan but nothing here.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll cross the RoK off my sex tourism list.  As if I didn't have enough reasons to hate Korea.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2011, 11:20:01 PM
The second one had some airplane crash

Was that an F3F?

Anyway, I didn't see anything racist about the 1st video.  It just looked like a parody of typical mid 1980 music videos to me.  Or rather, it looked like a music video made in the mid 1980s.  Calling it a parody would imply that it was intentionally funny.

The second one obviously uses some faux American Indian visuals, but I wouldn't consider that racist in and of itself if they aren't being used to mock or ridicule Indians, which I can't tell if they are.

Camerus

The first video had what could be interpreted as some possible minor racist undertones, but it didn't strike me as being a good example of 'zomg, racism'!  It was, however, immensely retarded, so I didn't bother to watch the second one.

Tim, I am sure there must be Korean girls wiling to date foreigners.  China has many conservative girls too, but there are (a) a number of girls who aren't that conservative after all and (b) whores in every nook and cranny.  You aren't trying hard enough.

dps

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 19, 2011, 07:13:24 AM
The first video had what could be interpreted as some possible minor racist undertones, but it didn't strike me as being a good example of 'zomg, racism'!  It was, however, immensely retarded, so I didn't bother to watch the second one.

Tim, I am sure there must be Korean girls wiling to date foreigners.  China has many conservative girls too, but there are (a) a number of girls who aren't that conservative after all and (b) whores in every nook and cranny.  You aren't trying hard enough.

Are we really surprised that Timmay has trouble getting a date, not matter what country he's in?  In Korea, at least he can attributue it to racism on the part of the locals.  In the U.S., I guess he'd argue it's irrational prejudice against cancer survivors.

OTOH, he doesn't strike me as the type that would frequent prostitutes, so your observation about whores really doesn't matter to him.

Eddie Teach

I dunno, if suitors were chosen by parents in America Tim would probably be pretty successful.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 19, 2011, 02:17:42 AMExoticness mostly works against you here. I didn't pick the 1950s for nothing when describing the social scene. On the surface at least Korean women are very conservative and most wouldn't touch a foreigner like that. Another problem is most women still live with their parents and have a curfew until they're married.

Japan is precisely the other way round, Japanese men are such mysogynistic dicks that japanese women love the nice friendly western men (as long as their parents never find out).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 18, 2011, 11:36:59 PM
It's the entirety of the presentation, though I suppose my experience in Korea allows me to read between the lines better than those who haven't been there.
No, I think it's your willingness to panic and cry 'racism!', based on your tendency to get a bit overexcited.

Since the Koreans were slaves almost as long as the blacks in the US were, I think you'll find that they're a little less prone to self-censorship in order to avoid having Jesse Jackson coming after them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on May 19, 2011, 07:35:31 AM

Are we really surprised that Timmay has trouble getting a date, not matter what country he's in?  In Korea, at least he can attributue it to racism on the part of the locals.  In the U.S., I guess he'd argue it's irrational prejudice against cancer survivors.

I've had dates with western girls here. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 19, 2011, 07:53:31 AM
I dunno, if suitors were chosen by parents in America Tim would probably be pretty successful.  :hmm:

Explain, please.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Quote from: dps on May 19, 2011, 07:35:31 AM

OTOH, he doesn't strike me as the type that would frequent prostitutes, so your observation about whores really doesn't matter to him.

Apart from his likely shyness and plethora of solitary interests such as reading and alt hist map making, Tim is actually a decent looking guy with a university education, nice personality and likely makes a decent income, especially compared to the locals.  So it is a bit surprising he is so defeatist on his prospects with the Korean ladies.

But I can't see Tim whoring, yeah.  Still, like chess, gin and the Church, it's just nice to know they'll always be there.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 19, 2011, 09:14:40 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 08:47:05 AM
Explain, please.

He's such a nice young man.

Perhaps but I don't think many parents would see a teacher as a catch.  :sleep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 09:52:12 AMPerhaps but I don't think many parents would see a teacher as a catch.  :sleep:

That's because you use the well to do middle class as your universal measure. Whether it's an affectation to proclaim your belonging to that class or simple parochial ignorance, I'm not sure.

Plenty of parents would see a teacher as a catch.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on May 19, 2011, 10:17:02 AM

Especially in East Asia where teaching is very well respected.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on May 19, 2011, 10:17:02 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 19, 2011, 09:52:12 AMPerhaps but I don't think many parents would see a teacher as a catch.  :sleep:

That's because you use the well to do middle class as your universal measure. Whether it's an affectation to proclaim your belonging to that class or simple parochial ignorance, I'm not sure.

I don't think that's it.  ET's statement was that if parents were to choose suitors in America that Tim would be pretty successful. Perhaps I'm overestimating the degree to which teachers are looked down upon (noble vocation and sacrifice...) but I don't really see that making him a catch.  I certainly don't think any of my teachers would have ever been considered a great catch.  The salary just isn't there unless you are already living below or near the poverty level.