Unions: good for workers or bad for business?

Started by DontSayBanana, April 16, 2009, 11:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pro-union or anti-union?

For
29 (50.9%)
Against
28 (49.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2009, 12:32:20 PM
This isn't to say that unions don't have their uses, but pretty much the only unions left in the US are closed-shop unions, and those are the most pernicious kind of unions.
Ah.  Banned in the UK, I believe.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2009, 12:32:20 PMYes, and in the US unions are attempts to monopolize the supply of labor.  That which is universally condemned in businesses seems perfectly acceptable to some when undertaken by a union.
To counter this, the employers in Germany also kind of unionize and make employers federations. So the metal-workers union negotiates with the metal employers federation (for the auto industry for example). That way you only have two big negotiation blocks representing employees and employers for entire industries. So they have roughly the same bargaining power I guess. Their agreements allow some leeway to allow for differences between companies. On top of that, there are company-specific agreements between union (or rather worker representatives which do not necessarily have to be unionized) and the management.

QuoteThis isn't to say that unions don't have their uses, but pretty much the only unions left in the US are closed-shop unions, and those are the most pernicious kind of unions.
That kind of union sounds like it sucks.

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on April 17, 2009, 11:43:49 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 17, 2009, 11:41:23 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 11:02:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on April 17, 2009, 11:02:07 AM
Unions are linked to organised crime? :blink: :unsure:

I am going to assume that is a sarcasm.
Not at all.  It's totally alien to the British experience of trade unions :mellow:

:yes: Yeah that's why Maggie had to break them.
I think Thatcher's actions had much more to do with their treason than their thuggishness.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 10:53:29 AM
All the research shows that the people do not unionize because of monetary issues.  They unionize because they think they are being mistreated - ie their supervisor is being a jerk, they are undervalued in the sense that they dont get enough credit for what they are doing and the company has no mechanism set up to allow them to have their concerns addressed. As a result when a company comes under a union certification drive its often their own fault.  

This is true.  Ironically, if the workplace becomes unionized, none of this changes.  The supervisors who were jerks will still be there (and still be jerks), the workers still aren't going to get the credit they think they deserve, and while there will be a grievance procedure set up, normally it will have specified matters that it will handle--which will be the concerns of the union leaders, not the individual workers.  Any changes will be in the compensation the workers receive.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on April 17, 2009, 12:43:08 PM
This is true.  Ironically, if the workplace becomes unionized, none of this changes.  The supervisors who were jerks will still be there (and still be jerks), the workers still aren't going to get the credit they think they deserve, and while there will be a grievance procedure set up, normally it will have specified matters that it will handle--which will be the concerns of the union leaders, not the individual workers.  Any changes will be in the compensation the workers receive.

Agreed, the reasons for unionizing dont actually get addressed by forming a union.  Which often comes as a shock to those that brought in the union, especially when they realize that all the rights they once had have also been given away to the discretion of the union - although apparently not in Germany.

Zanza

Somehow this thread disappeared from the forum. It also tells me that there haven't been new posts for the last 120 days.  :huh:

*bump*

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 18, 2009, 03:32:49 AM
Somehow this thread disappeared from the forum. It also tells me that there haven't been new posts for the last 120 days.  :huh:

*bump*

So it was alla a dream!

Languish is becoming more and more like a daytime soap opera. <_<
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 17, 2009, 12:15:35 PM
Viper, I was saying that he must be sarcastically wondering whether organized crime is involved in Unions. ;)

duh!  sorry  :Embarrass:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 18, 2009, 03:32:49 AM

*bump*

I thought some anti-union types deleted it somehow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 17, 2009, 12:32:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2009, 03:28:13 AM
Ever heard of monopolies?
Yes, and in the US unions are attempts to monopolize the supply of labor.  That which is universally condemned in businesses seems perfectly acceptable to some when undertaken by a union.

This isn't to say that unions don't have their uses, but pretty much the only unions left in the US are closed-shop unions, and those are the most pernicious kind of unions.

I was under the impression that Closed shops had been illegal for 50 years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2009, 04:30:21 PM

It depends on your state.  Any so-called "right to work" state bans the closed shop.  At that point, a union is substantially crippled.

Razgovory

Quote from: ulmont on April 18, 2009, 04:41:46 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2009, 04:30:21 PM

It depends on your state.  Any so-called "right to work" state bans the closed shop.  At that point, a union is substantially crippled.

What about the federal law that banned them.  Taft-Hartley I think.

garbon

According to wiki there are no closed shops but there are union shops, where after a certain amount of time you are required to join the union, opt out by paying the equivalent of union dues, or lose your job.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

Quote from: ulmont on April 18, 2009, 04:41:46 PM

Raz is right; closed shops have been illegal in the US since the Truman administration. 

There's usually confusion about the difference between a closed shop and a union shop.  A closed shop is one where membership in a union is a pre-condition to employment.  Union shops, where one must join the union before a set period of time after gaining employment or be fired, are still permitted except in states with right to work laws.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock