News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'd actually like to me Yi sometime.  I wouldn't even make him touch my feet.  Yi seems like a good enough type.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 12:37:50 AM
I'd actually like to me Yi sometime.
I'd like to see you me Yi.

Yi is a great guy.  The DC cabal has collapsed in his absence.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 10:33:41 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 06:26:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:13:48 PM
4:1 I'll have to think about.

I'd go with those odds if I were you, as the conventional wisdom makes it look like the Republicans are intent on flying beyond their Fail-Safe points for the sake of kicking out the President at all costs at a solid 3:1.
It sounds like you're saying the opposite.  If there is more than 20% that Republicans force a default, then Yi shouldn't take my bet.
I just don't give a shit anymore.  This place is broken.  Enjoy the first four years of Batshit Bachmann.
I'm going to give you so much shit when I'm enjoying the the pleasures of a centrist, stable Canada, while you guys are melting down and you've elected a president that is not only a woman, but a mental defective.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:13:48 PM
4:1 I'll have to think about.
My quote is good until the end of today, given the volatility of the situation. :contract: 

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 10:33:41 PM
I just don't give a shit anymore.  This place is broken.  Enjoy the first four years of Batshit Bachmann.

:)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Even you wouldn't want someone is insane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2011, 09:00:57 AM
Even you wouldn't want someone is insane.
No, but I bet he hopes more people like Money decide that they don't give a shit any more.  The more Democrats stay home, the more Republicans get elected.  I'm thinking Spicey doesn't rate Bachman's chances as worth considering.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2011, 10:54:30 AM
I'm thinking Spicey doesn't rate Bachman's chances as worth considering.

Dangerous.  Romney has established before his abilities for fumbling away primaries.  Oral Roberts Law's most notorious grad could easily draw big protest/statement votes in the earlier primaries and start piling up delegates as Romney implodes.  It's not obvious to me that there is anyone in the field with the muscle to push her aside if Romney stalls.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Bachmann is running first in Iowa and has the best net approval ratings in the field at 65%.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2011/07/11/bachmann_moves_into_the_lead_in_iowa.html

So uh...Not insignificant.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2011, 10:54:30 AM
No, but I bet he hopes more people like Money decide that they don't give a shit any more.

Correct. 

QuoteThe more Democrats stay home, the more Republicans get elected.

Yessir.

QuoteI'm thinking Spicey doesn't rate Bachman's chances as worth considering.

Yep.  She's got momentum right now but I don't see her maintaining it.  And as I mentioned before, I don't want her as the GOP candidate.

Having said that, it'd be some great entertainment value seeing Seedy's reaction if she did well in some primaries or won the nom or even won the general election.  And it goes without saying that I'd rather have her than Obama as Prez.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
[ And it goes without saying that I'd rather have her than Obama as Prez.
Wow.   :huh:

That's kinda scary.  You seem so normal most of the time.  Obama's not a brilliant president, but he's certainly the best president we've had since first-term Reagan, and Bachman would make Dubya look like Lincoln. Why it "goes without saying" that you want an even more dysfunctional country than we now have mystifies me.  I guess some people are simply willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

I haven't decided if I would rather than a President Romney than a President Obama, but I definitely have decided about "President Bachman!"  :lol:

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Not that surprising.  Wanting to destroy the country to save it has been a mainstream Republican position for some time now.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2011, 12:05:20 PM
Wow.   :huh:

That's kinda scary.  You seem so normal most of the time. 

Oh, come on.  You guys know how far to the right I am.

QuoteObama's not a brilliant president, but he's certainly the best president we've had since first-term Reagan,

I think he's the worst we've had since Carter.  I never thought we'd have a president that would make me miss Clinton this much.

Quoteand Bachman would make Dubya look like Lincoln. Why it "goes without saying" that you want an even more dysfunctional country than we now have mystifies me.

It should mystify you-- because I didn't say it.  I don't fear a Bachmann presidency like you guys do.  She's not my first choice, nor is she my second, third, etc.  But I agree with her politically a lot more than I do Obama.

QuoteI guess some people are simply willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

I haven't decided if I would rather than a President Romney than a President Obama, but I definitely have decided about "President Bachman!"  :lol:

Romney's my guy for now.  I'd prefer someone else, maybe Pawlenty, but you gotta play the percentages for the general election.

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2011, 12:05:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 12, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
[ And it goes without saying that I'd rather have her than Obama as Prez.
Wow.   :huh:

That's kinda scary.  You seem so normal most of the time.  Obama's not a brilliant president, but he's certainly the best president we've had since first-term Reagan, and Bachman would make Dubya look like Lincoln. Why it "goes without saying" that you want an even more dysfunctional country than we now have mystifies me.  I guess some people are simply willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces.

This bears repeating.

Wow, just Wow.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Yeah.  I'm also shocked at the idea that Obama was better than Clinton or Bush I.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.