News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 05:58:22 PM
Anyone feel like making a little book on whether or not the debt limit will be raised by August 2nd?
Sure.  Which side are you on?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 06:00:27 PM
Anyone feel like making a little book on whether or not the debt limit will be raised by August 2nd?

Long.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:02:13 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 06:00:27 PM

Long.
You bet it would be raised by 8/2?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 06:02:53 PM
You bet it would be raised by 8/2?

By 8/2 or whenever the US starts welching on obligations, whichever comes later.  Just in case Geithner was padding the deadline.

DGuller

I agree with your assessment, but I would be willing to lay 4:1 that Republicans really are as utterly nuts as they seem.  Meaning that if they raise the debt ceiling before default, I pay you $20, but if we default, you pay me $80.

Admiral Yi

4:1 I'll have to think about.

Razgovory

Nah, you still owe me a foot massage.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 06:15:09 PM

That's a libel.  I don't owe you a foot massage until we're face to face.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:16:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 06:15:09 PM

That's a libel.  I don't owe you a foot massage until we're face to face.
That sounds like an awkward setup for a foot massage, unless Raz is more agile than we're led to believe.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:13:48 PM

I'd go with those odds if I were you, as the conventional wisdom makes it look like the Republicans are intent on flying beyond their Fail-Safe points for the sake of kicking out the President at all costs at a solid 3:1.

MadImmortalMan

What odds would you give me it happens on exactly 8/2?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 06:21:34 PM
I'd go with those odds if I were you, as the conventional wisdom makes it look like the Republicans are intent on flying beyond their Fail-Safe points for the sake of kicking out the President at all costs at a solid 3:1.

There are fragments of this post which make sense individually, but taken as a whole the meaning is rather elusive.

DGuller

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:13:48 PM

It sounds like you're saying the opposite.  If there is more than 20% that Republicans force a default, then Yi shouldn't take my bet.