News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I think these new republicans are thinking big, looking at the larger historical picture; in future people will be able to look back and say this is when America jumped off a cliff, far more dramatic and cinematic than say the Britian's drawn out relative economic decline and gradual withdrawal from empire.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 05:49:38 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on July 11, 2011, 05:45:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford and Bush I (at least Bush I's private sensibilities) are sad at what's happened to their party.

It is very sad. I can't believe I'm even technically considering the possibility of a US default. :huh:

Why not; the Republicans are banking on it.  And they're banking on you blaming the President on it, along with their mouthbreathing Dumbfuckistanian voters.

Polls show a majority of Americans are in favor of the "tax increases" (actually it's ending the Bush tax cuts on people making more than nearly anyone posting here, ending gas & oil subsidies, and ending corporate jet tax breaks). Maybe people will see through the Republican's charade?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grallon

Hmmm I thought all these tax breaks for the super rich were 'channeling Voodoo Economics' beneficial?  Was I misled??

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Fate

Quote from: Grallon on July 11, 2011, 07:32:36 PM
Hmmm I thought all these tax breaks for the super rich were 'channeling Voodoo Economics' beneficial?  Was I misled??

G.

If the rich had a 39.5% tax rate instead of a 35% tax rate then we'd be taking in even less revenue than we are today.

Grallon

Quote from: Fate on July 11, 2011, 07:40:09 PM

If the rich had a 39.5% tax rate instead of a 35% tax rate then we'd be taking in even less revenue than we are today.

*shrug*  It's your country going down the 'shitcan'.  And though it will likely have adverse effects on us - it should be fun to watch nonetheless.

The 'Boni' are indeed hard at work!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

It's a little odd that a guy who thinks Quebec should separate is concerned about a country going down the shitcan.  After all, a Quebec without Anglo money is basically a northern Haiti.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2011, 08:13:48 PM
It's a little odd that a guy who thinks Quebec should separate is concerned about a country going down the shitcan.  After all, a Quebec without Anglo money is basically a northern Haiti.

Is Quebec as corrupt as Louisiana?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 08:43:14 PM
Is Quebec as corrupt as Louisiana?

Close behind.  :Embarrass:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 11, 2011, 07:13:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 05:49:38 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on July 11, 2011, 05:45:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford and Bush I (at least Bush I's private sensibilities) are sad at what's happened to their party.

It is very sad. I can't believe I'm even technically considering the possibility of a US default. :huh:

Why not; the Republicans are banking on it.  And they're banking on you blaming the President on it, along with their mouthbreathing Dumbfuckistanian voters.

Polls show a majority of Americans are in favor of the "tax increases" (actually it's ending the Bush tax cuts on people making more than nearly anyone posting here, ending gas & oil subsidies, and ending corporate jet tax breaks). Maybe people will see through the Republican's charade?

Don't count on it. They're already ramping up Family Values.  Along with the Union Busting, it's a winner.  All we need is flag burning and Willie Horton, and it'll be a total GOP lock.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on July 11, 2011, 06:26:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 06:21:34 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:13:48 PM
4:1 I'll have to think about.

I'd go with those odds if I were you, as the conventional wisdom makes it look like the Republicans are intent on flying beyond their Fail-Safe points for the sake of kicking out the President at all costs at a solid 3:1.
It sounds like you're saying the opposite.  If there is more than 20% that Republicans force a default, then Yi shouldn't take my bet.

I just don't give a shit anymore.  This place is broken.  Enjoy the first four years of Batshit Bachmann.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 10:33:41 PM
:console:  If things go tits up you can get a gun and hunt Tea Party types like game.

I just don't give a shit anymore.  This place is broken.  Enjoy the first four years of Batshit Bachmann.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 10:47:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2011, 10:33:41 PM
:console:  If things go tits up you can get a gun and hunt Tea Party types like game.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2011, 06:16:17 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2011, 06:15:09 PM
Nah, you still owe me a foot massage.

That's a libel.  I don't owe you a foot massage until we're face to face.

Can't you get him a gift certificate to one of those Chinese reflexology places?