News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2011, 01:52:50 PM
So how did you manage to colonise it before 1908 ?

We were obsessed with horses back then but we seem to have forgotten how to ride them.

Anyway the cities were designed completely differently prior to WWII.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2011, 02:03:16 PM

We were obsessed with horses back then but we seem to have forgotten how to ride them.

I bet widespread use of horse transportation in modern times would do a lot more environmental damage than cars do now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 17, 2011, 02:05:46 PM
I bet widespread use of horse transportation in modern times would do a lot more environmental damage than cars do now.
That is correct.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2011, 02:03:16 PM

I think you're both missing the huge roll the railroads had in building the USA.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2011, 02:18:46 PM
I think you're both missing the huge roll the railroads had in building the USA.

Cars did not replace railroads.  Airplanes did.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2011, 02:25:08 PM

Which was my point, the choice wasn't between cars and going back to horses, there were other signifcant forms of transport and quite possibly the absolute importance of cars in the future may change.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2011, 02:27:55 PM
Which was my point, the choice wasn't between cars and going back to horses, there were other signifcant forms of transport and quite possibly the absolute importance of cars in the future may change.
Who was going to take a train from home to their work every day?  The whole point of adopting the car was to be able to live someplace decent.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2011, 02:25:08 PM

There are different types of transportation. The point Valmy (and Neil) makes is a valid one. A train won't take you to your front door. Or the supermarket. Neither will an aircraft. A horse will.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

A horse will take you to heaven and back.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza2

How did the thread derail from government debt to mobility habits?

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 17, 2011, 02:43:56 PM

And worse. So much worse.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

The usual. The Americans can't stand it when that particular nerve is prodded and so they change the subject.  :hmm:

HVC

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 02:47:53 PM

The usual. The Americans can't stand it when that particular nerve is prodded and so they change the subject.  :hmm:
Canadian :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 02:34:25 PM
Who was going to take a train from home to their work every day?  The whole point of adopting the car was to be able to live someplace decent.
Loads of people take a train or a metro or bus to work.

In the future I do see patterns of habitation changing quite drastically to hug the railway routes a lot more.
██████
██████
██████