And we're back!

Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on August 01, 2011, 11:48:19 PM
i wouldn't say that's why they're idiots :P

You did before re: some lobbyists or constituents you had to deal with.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

nay, nay. you might have misunderstood me then. the flood of letters and emails received by the tp people were full of anger and just plain.. stupidity. some were mass letters with messages in bold that were like, "VOTE CAP AND TRADE. WE ARE WATCHING YOU," that arrived every day. the others, however, the ones handwritten by people or just generally personalized, were full of comments that contained some really ignorant and misinformed points. they had no idea what they were talking about. many simply vomited buzzphrases/words they heard from glenn beck or whoever else. the voice messages weren't any better. you could watch fox news and know exactly what people would call in the next day to bitch about. there was no critical thinking, no thoughtful arguments, it was all just garbage they kept throwing at you every single day. it got a little depressing

MadImmortalMan

Of course. What did you expect?  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

LaCroix

hadn't really thought of it before going in. it wasn't all bad. every once in awhile the system would surprise you with a letter that made some really good and insightful points (i don't recall any from the tp crowd..), but of course since it couldn't be immediately branded as belonging to a certain category, it had to end in the recycling bin alongside the many petitions and capitalization/exclamation mark fiends

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 09:51:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 01, 2011, 09:41:24 PM
Maybe stop reading the news for a bit? You seem to be wigging out.

You know garbon, you know who you remind me of?  A Jew Kapo. Selling out for a few trinkets and extra rations, when in the end you're just going to get the same shitty deal. 

So go ahead, Uncle Teom, keep supporting the politics of the fucks that would put you first up against the wall for being a minority fag.

While Seedys ranting is kind of funny, I am always wondering exactly what point it is he is trying to make. I think we all get that he is an anti-capitalism communist or something like that, some sort of red of one kind or another...but WHAT kind?

I mean...what is it he is advocating for?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 01, 2011, 09:35:02 PM
On the same day HSBC announces its half-year earnings at $11.5 billion (with a B), it also announces it is getting rid of 35,000 jobs.

Just tossing it out there.

[Berkutstockanswer]
So?
[/Berkutstockanswer]

So?

My new job is working for the company that just bought a bunch of HSBcs retail bank branches today.

But you know CdRed, we are all rather aware that corporations really only care about their bottom lines and are perfectly willing to lay people off. That isn't news.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 01, 2011, 07:56:28 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 01, 2011, 07:48:30 PM
:lmfao:

Your as crazy as Raz and as hackish as DG.

Actually, that isn't really right - DG is actually not nearly as much a hack as you are...
I may be openly a liberal, but I bet my conservative bashing is fundamentally more objective than your "tribal thinking" bashing.  You don't need to equivocate to be objective.

No, buy you do need to think about things on their merits, rather than on their presence in one set or another.

Constant comments along the lines of "You can assume that anything a Conservative says about the economy is a lie" are pretty clearly non-objective. You will never get that though, because you have a profound faith in your infallibility and superiority to all others. I get that - I can't argue against faith.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on August 02, 2011, 01:41:55 AM

No, buy you do need to think about things on their merits, rather than on their presence in one set or another.

Constant comments along the lines of "You can assume that anything a Conservative says about the economy is a lie" are pretty clearly non-objective. You will never get that though, because you have a profound faith in your infallibility and superiority to all others. I get that - I can't argue against faith.

Why is you assume that Dguller and I don't?  From what I can tell you refuse to identify with a major political party, and for some reason this makes you somehow more objective then those who do.  I have no idea why you think this to be true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Constant comments along the lines of "You can assume that anything a Conservative says about the economy is a lie" are pretty clearly non-objective.

This is why it's pointless to debate anything with you. You constantly put words in other poster's mouths and decide to rant against what you think people said. When and where did DG say that?

Anyways. Cue the "Zoupa is part of your tribe LOL euro cryptocommies".

DGuller

But the thing is that I do think on merits.  After all, of the two of us, I've been the one doing the bulk of the work actually looking up the data and analyzing it.  Just because you don't give me credit for thinking about things on merit doesn't mean that I don't.  It can, and does, mean that you just like to discount the depth of the thought process of others to exaggerate the depth of your own thought process, while in fact your thought process is just a variation of the highly lazy "pox on both houses" (or "pox on both tribes") thinking.
QuoteConstant comments along the lines of "You can assume that anything a Conservative says about the economy is a lie" are pretty clearly non-objective.
I disagree.  If you keep analyzing the economic issues, and keep finding that one side bends the truth to the point of snapping it like a twig, time and time again, on issue after issue, it isn't non-objective to say that "In fact, you can't go very wrong believing that everything conservatives say about the economy is a falsehood, because it usually is."  Equivocation or using weasel words does not equal objectivity.  The reason I'm saying that conservatives are almost always spouting falsehoods about economic issues is not because I'm a liberal, it's because time and again I have looked at the issues, and found conservatives pushing ideology to the absolute exclusion of properly interpreted facts.
You will never get that though, because you have a profound faith in your infallibility and superiority to all others. I get that - I can't argue against faith.
If you want to prick my faith in myself, don't use superficial arguments like "You say that conservatives almost always lie, you're not using neutral language, therefore you can't be objective."  Put some thought into it, besides the tired "tribe" bullshit.  Debates like the ones we had over the last 5 pages just reinforce my faith in my ability to analyze economic facts better than conservatives, or their moderate and rational apologists.

Neil

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2011, 03:17:15 AM
Constant comments along the lines of "You can assume that anything a Conservative says about the economy is a lie" are pretty clearly non-objective.
This is why it's pointless to debate anything with you. You constantly put words in other poster's mouths and decide to rant against what you think people said. When and where did DG say that?

No, he actually said that further up the thread.

Besides, as a Quebecois, you already have a tribe.  You don't need the Tribe of the Strident, Hostile Democrat to accept you.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on August 02, 2011, 05:09:13 AM

No, he actually said that further up the thread.

Besides, as a Quebecois, you already have a tribe.  You don't need the Tribe of the Strident, Hostile Democrat to accept you.
I didn't quite say exactly that.  As usual, Berkut's paraphrasing misses the nuances of the people he's paraphrasing, to the point of attributing to them things that they didn't say. 

My statement didn't imply that conservatives are always lying about economic matters, it implied that they do it so often that it's safer to assume that what they say about economics is a lie rather than the truth.  Of course, if you analyze the issue yourself, you should come to a conclusion based on your analysis rather than based on what conservatives say about it, but that's not always practical.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller
In fact, you can't go very wrong believing that everything conservatives say about the economy is a falsehood

0 rows returned

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on August 02, 2011, 07:28:03 AM
"You can assume that anything a Conservative says about the economy is a lie"

/=

Quote from: DGuller
In fact, you can't go very wrong believing that everything conservatives say about the economy is a falsehood
[/quote]

Close but not quite.