NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 08:45:07 PM
So is anti-unionism driven mostly by jelousy or something?
Something.  Public employee unions drive up state and local taxes.  Private sector unions drive up the cost of goods and services.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 10:39:35 PM
Why should a person not do what is in their rational self-interest and try to make more money?  I mean isn't that part of the free market?  It would seem that trying to crush a Union (especially with government action as has been traditional) is anti-market. 

Collective bargaining agreements are hardly pro-market. Between unions driving up their dues and strongarming employers into paying totally unrealistic salaries that don't even closely compete with comparable non-union work, the consumer/taxpayer is rarely satisfied with the price hike that unions cause.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Why should a person not do what is in their rational self-interest and try to make more money?  I mean isn't that part of the free market?  It would seem that trying to crush a Union (especially with government action as has been traditional) is anti-market.
Rational self-interest does not trump everything else.  Labor unions are a form of collusion, and collusion is not free market.

Berkut

It is very simple, as I pointed out earlier.

THe state of New York is (was) staring at something like a $15 billion budget deficit over the next 5-6 years. Patterson, in addition to cutting funding (and by cutting what we really mean is not increasing as much as planned) for both the Holy Education Interests and Untouchable Health Care asked the public employees unions to agree to a revision of their contract - said revision being the horror of not getting planned on raises.

Note that not a whole lot of people are getting raises these days.

The unions, to not great surprise, told him "Gosh, no thanks! We will take our raises!" so he responded by saying "OK, you have a contract, and I cannot force you to re-negotiate. However, I can lay you off. Would that be preferable?" and the unions said "Hah! You won't do it!".

So that is what has Strixy all upset - he is now sucking at the teat of the social welfare system we call "working for the government", and a lot of people in New York are slurping along right next to him.

So, you combine the following people who are now pissed at Patterson:

1. Government employees
2. Healthcare employees
3. School systems employees

And all the people indirectly making money off those three huge parts of the state economy...and frankly it is a wonder he has a 19% approval rating.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 10:44:00 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 08:45:07 PM
So is anti-unionism driven mostly by jelousy or something?
Something.  Public employee unions drive up state and local taxes.  Private sector unions drive up the cost of goods and services.

Argument shifted to different thread.

Oh and Berkut's funny.  Since working is now a form of welfare. :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2009, 12:40:04 AM
Oh and Berkut's funny.  Since working is now a form of welfare. :lol:

You fail at reading.

As usual.

0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2009, 12:40:04 AMOh and Berkut's funny.  Since working is now a form of welfare. :lol:

I don't think you sould participate in discussions regarding topics with which you have no experience. ^_^

After all, I stopped participating in threads revolving around parenting after Camper, Meri, et al. shouted down everything I said because I don't have kids so couldn't POSSIBLY have a valid opinion related to them.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2009, 06:39:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2009, 12:40:04 AMOh and Berkut's funny.  Since working is now a form of welfare. :lol:

I don't think you sould participate in discussions regarding topics with which you have no experience. ^_^

After all, I stopped participating in threads revolving around parenting after Camper, Meri, et al. shouted down everything I said because I don't have kids so couldn't POSSIBLY have a valid opinion related to them.

You don't. Sorry. get a crotchfruit and join the fun. OR REMAIN SILENT!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2009, 06:44:18 AMYou don't. Sorry. get a crotchfruit and join the fun. OR REMAIN SILENT!

Yes sir.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I have had a job and paid taxes.  I haven't been on welfare though.  So I suppose Berkut is the only one who can talk about both.  Oh, and Yi doesn't have a job either.  Go harrass him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2009, 12:34:09 AM

I have had a job and paid taxes.  I haven't been on welfare though.  So I suppose Berkut is the only one who can talk about both.  Oh, and Yi doesn't have a job either.  Go harrass him.

You keep repeating this - when have I ever been on welfare?

0 rows returned

Razgovory

BuddhaRhubarb

That's because the so-called "free Market" is a scam. Pure bullshit. Nothing "free" about it. It exists only as an excuse to exploit, abuse the disenfranchised ... aka anyone not born into wealth and privilege. Or something like that. :p
:p

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien