NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 03:36:16 PM
I think it's more of a case of him trying to distract people from his glaring faults as a governor by taking a stand on a landmine issue like gay marriage. Based on his current behavior and performance so far it has nothing to do with nobility.
What are his glaring faults as governor?

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 03:37:36 PM
I think it's more of a case of him trying to distract people from his glaring faults as a governor by taking a stand on a landmine issue like gay marriage. Based on his current behavior and performance so far it has nothing to do with nobility.

Yes this was more of what I was getting at.

Well, based on his performance, I am guessing there is a greater chance for "nobility" as the asnwer than not.

The reason his approval rating is so low is that he has stepped on a lot of toes - the toes of people like the public employees unions, the health care lobby, and teachers unions in an effort to reform the budget.

I wonder if Strix's hostility is absed on Patterson simply being a Dem, or because Strix is a public employee? Hard to say, I guess.

But if Patterson is voted out, it will be for the reason that he was not willing to just go along with the sinking ship that is New York state public finances, and instead challenged the status quo and the entrenched special interests in the state.

Kind of funny to see Strix, the supposed hard core conservative, small government Republican champion the special interests and unions!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

"I wonder if Strix's hostility is absed on Patterson simply being a Dem, or because Strix is a public employee? Hard to say, I guess."

Or option 3- Strix hates darkies.  :lol:
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:13:27 PM
1. Black
2. Democrat
3. Doesn't hate gays

Ed Anger

I distrust the blind and their "sign language".
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

vinraith

Best of luck to them, I hope they can get it passed.

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 16, 2009, 04:34:23 PM
I distrust the blind and their "sign language".
Many blind people wear sunglasses. I can see why Strix wouldn't trust them.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 03:21:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 01:00:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2009, 12:57:45 PM
I think it's a good thing to have a politician frame it in those terms.  Whatever his motives, this is the right thing to do.  The only downside is that it encourages Martinus.

I am sure Marty just thinks that it is a shit plan exposing the basic homophobia in America because it doesn't go far enough, like subsidize dental inserts for more effective blowjobs or something.
You are fucking stupid.
You're fucking stupid.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:13:27 PM

Can't effectively glare.  Blind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

OMG I only now realized: Raz looks like Nixon. :o

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
Paterson's motives are a bit suspect right now, since he's extremely unpopular in NY state.
Curiously enough, it's not that he's unpopular, he's just got terrible approval ratings.  Basically New Yorkers think he's a swell guy without a clue (which I think is the most insulting poll outcome for a politician).

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2009, 05:25:30 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
Paterson's motives are a bit suspect right now, since he's extremely unpopular in NY state.
Curiously enough, it's not that he's unpopular, he's just got terrible approval ratings.  Basically New Yorkers think he's a swell guy without a clue (which I think is the most insulting poll outcome for a politician).
Well, I imagine "annoying fuck who doesn't have a clue" could be slightly more insulting.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 05:28:17 PM
Well, I imagine "annoying fuck who doesn't have a clue" could be slightly more insulting.
Nuh, in that case, you can console yourself that people don't approve of you because they have irrational dislike of you.  Getting fired by the people who truly like you is what really stings.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2009, 05:25:30 PMCuriously enough, it's not that he's unpopular, he's just got terrible approval ratings. 

This is what I meant, of course. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points