NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Vince on April 16, 2009, 12:48:20 PM
You silly Kentucky people.  You should know to us New Yorkers TEH EV0L is Boston area sports.   ;) :P

Which try to ignore that. It is embarrassing that any place considers Massachusetts as serious competition.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

I think it's a good thing to have a politician frame it in those terms.  Whatever his motives, this is the right thing to do.  The only downside is that it encourages Martinus.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2009, 12:57:45 PM
I think it's a good thing to have a politician frame it in those terms.  Whatever his motives, this is the right thing to do.  The only downside is that it encourages Martinus.

I am sure Marty just thinks that it is a shit plan exposing the basic homophobia in America because it doesn't go far enough, like subsidize dental inserts for more effective blowjobs or something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

As a practical matter, there are other nearby states that will perform gay marriages, and NY gives full faith and credit.  So even if it doesn't pass, NY gays will still have a viable alternative.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Strix

He has a 19% approval rating as governor of NY. He has to do something if he wants a chance to run for office, such as dog catcher, in NY because he has no shot in hell at being nominated for a 2nd term as governor.

Granted that 19% approval rating is before he starts firing 8,700 State workers in July. He has a good chance of hitting single digits by this fall.  :lmfao:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 03:01:26 PM
He has a 19% approval rating as governor of NY. He has to do something if he wants a chance to run for office, such as dog catcher, in NY because he has no shot in hell at being nominated for a 2nd term as governor.

Granted that 19% approval rating is before he starts firing 8,700 State workers in July. He has a good chance of hitting single digits by this fall.  :lmfao:

Social policy is always a good thing to do then.  It costs comparatively little and gives people warm fuzzies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 16, 2009, 01:21:15 PM
As a practical matter, there are other nearby states that will perform gay marriages, and NY gives full faith and credit.  So even if it doesn't pass, NY gays will still have a viable alternative.

:yes:

It's just a matter with regards to form not function. It does seem a little strange to say that you will recognize a type of marriage from other states but you won't give anyone that type of marriage in your own state.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 03:04:33 PMSocial policy is always a good thing to do then.  It costs comparatively little and gives people warm fuzzies.

Yes, which is why I made that post earlier.  In Paterson's defense, he has been very supportive of gays in the past, before he was Mr. Unpopular for refusing to give away Senate seats like they were family legacies at Harvard. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:39:49 PM
Ohfercryinoutloud.  Don't look, then.

One can't help it. They spring it all up in your faces. Like homosexuals are okay, as long as they aren't so gay about it.
If they weren't fucking stupid, they would just stay in their closets until the Pope gave them full marriage rights. :yes:

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on April 16, 2009, 01:00:58 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2009, 12:57:45 PM

I am sure Marty just thinks that it is a shit plan exposing the basic homophobia in America because it doesn't go far enough, like subsidize dental inserts for more effective blowjobs or something.
You are fucking stupid.

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 03:04:33 PM
Social policy is always a good thing to do then.  It costs comparatively little and gives people warm fuzzies.

If you mean that unfavorable social policy is always a good thing to do when a person realizes that they have no political future that can be hurt by it.

Than, yes, I agree with that sentiment.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 03:29:20 PMIf you mean that unfavorable social policy is always a good thing to do when a person realizes that they have no political future that can be hurt by it.

I did not mean it that way.  If he figures he is finished politically so he might as well do a good noble thing then I guess I should give him more credit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Faeelin

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 03:06:46 PM

:yes:

It's just a matter with regards to form not function. It does seem a little strange to say that you will recognize a type of marriage from other states but you won't give anyone that type of marriage in your own state.

Actually, this is being battled in court right now.

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 03:30:25 PM
Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 03:29:20 PMIf you mean that unfavorable social policy is always a good thing to do when a person realizes that they have no political future that can be hurt by it.

I did not mean it that way.  If he figures he is finished politically so he might as well do a good noble thing then I guess I should give him more credit.

I think it's more of a case of him trying to distract people from his glaring faults as a governor by taking a stand on a landmine issue like gay marriage. Based on his current behavior and performance so far it has nothing to do with nobility.

Valmy

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 03:36:16 PM
I think it's more of a case of him trying to distract people from his glaring faults as a governor by taking a stand on a landmine issue like gay marriage. Based on his current behavior and performance so far it has nothing to do with nobility.

Yes this was more of what I was getting at.