NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage_new_york

QuoteNEW YORK – Gov. David Paterson announced plans Thursday to legalize same-sex marriage in New York, making a political gamble that he can ride the momentum of other states that have recently allowed the practice.

The proposal is the same bill the Democrat-controlled state Assembly passed in 2007 before it died in the Senate, where the Republican majority kept it from going to a vote. Democrats now control the Senate, but opponents are vowing to make sure this one fails, as well.

The governor's approval ratings have plunged to below 20 percent, and it's still unclear how the legislation will play in the state. Paterson says gay marriage is a crucial issue of equal rights in America that cannot be ignored.

"I'm introducing a bill to bring marriage equality to the state of New York," Paterson said to applause, surrounded by leaders including Mayor Michael Bloomberg and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn.

Paterson, who is black, framed the issue in sweeping terms, invoking Frederick Douglass and Harriet Beecher Stowe and drawing a parallel between the fight to eliminate slavery in the 1800s to the current effort to allow gay marriage.

"Rights should not be stifled by fear. What we should understand is that silence should not be a response to injustice. And that if we take not action, we will surely lose," Paterson said.

Paterson said gay and lesbian couples are denied as many as 1,350 civil protections — such as health care and pension rights — because they cannot marry.

At the same time Paterson was to announce his proposal, Sen. Ruben Diaz of the Bronx, an opponent of same-sex marriage, planned to meet with religious leaders to discuss how to block the bill.

Diaz, who is an evangelical pastor, said his meeting in the Bronx was to inform Hispanics, Catholics, evangelicals and others opposed to same-sex marriage of their options to prevent the bill's passage.

Diaz also said it is "disrespectful" of Paterson to introduce the legislation in the same week that Catholics celebrated the installation of New York City Archbishop Timothy Dolan.

Paterson attended the ceremony Wednesday at St. Patrick's Cathedral.

"I think it's a laugh in the face of the new archbishop," Diaz said Thursday before the start of his meeting. "The Jews just finished their holy week. The Catholics just received the new archbishop. The evangelical Christians just celebrated Good Friday and resurrection. He comes out to do this at this time? It's a challenge the governor is sending to every religious person in New York and the time for us has come for us to accept the challenge."

Dislikes fatties and supports gays!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"I think it's a laugh in the face of the new archbishop," Diaz said Thursday before the start of his meeting. "The Jews just finished their holy week. The Catholics just received the new archbishop. The evangelical Christians just celebrated Good Friday and resurrection. He comes out to do this at this time? It's a challenge the governor is sending to every religious person in New York and the time for us has come for us to accept the challenge."

Does the bill forbid religious people from doing anything?  Does it demand they do something they are not already doing?  I guess I am having a hard time seeing the religious message.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 12:05:04 PM
Quote"I think it's a laugh in the face of the new archbishop," Diaz said Thursday before the start of his meeting. "The Jews just finished their holy week. The Catholics just received the new archbishop. The evangelical Christians just celebrated Good Friday and resurrection. He comes out to do this at this time? It's a challenge the governor is sending to every religious person in New York and the time for us has come for us to accept the challenge."

Does the bill forbid religious people from doing anything?  Does it demand they do something they are not already doing?  I guess I am having a hard time seeing the religious message.
It denies them the ability to use their strength to prevent gays from marrying.  And since opposing Martinus is every citizen's duty, this bill is intollerable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 12:20:03 PM
And since opposing Martinus is every citizen's duty, this bill is intollerable.

I have thought for a while now that Martinus is actually a GOP sow whose sole mission is to plant seeds of intolerance against Gays. 

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2009, 12:26:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 12:20:03 PM
And since opposing Martinus is every citizen's duty, this bill is intollerable.

I have thought for a while now that Martinus is actually a GOP plant whose sole mission is to plant seeds of intolerance against Gays. 

Marty plants entire trees of intolerance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Faeelin

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2009, 12:05:04 PM

The religious message is obvious. Gays are intolerable and must be stopped from being treated equally at all costs, because the Catholic Church's religious views gain precedent.

Caliga

Paterson's motives are a bit suspect right now, since he's extremely unpopular in NY state.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 12:35:02 PM
Paterson's motives are a bit suspect right now, since he's extremely unpopular in NY state.

That is a bit over-stated. State government in general is unpopular in New York State right now, and he is the guy who is forcing through some much needed budget reform, which of course has a pretty serious political cost.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

charliebear

What is wrong with gay marriage?  I see it as a savior for our economy.  Consider this:  gift registration boosts retail sales, the floral industry thrives, and reception hall reservations increase.  Why is this a bad thing?

Caliga

Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:37:25 PM
What is wrong with gay marriage?  I see it as a savior for our economy.  Consider this:  gift registration boosts retail sales, the floral industry thrives, and reception hall reservations increase.  Why is this a bad thing?

Because homosexual behavior is TEH EV0L  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

charliebear

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 12:38:00 PM

Ohfercryinoutloud.  Don't look, then.

garbon

Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:39:49 PM

One can't help it. They spring it all up in your faces. Like homosexuals are okay, as long as they aren't so gay about it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

charliebear

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:39:49 PM

One can't help it. They spring it all up in your faces. Like homosexuals are okay, as long as they aren't so gay about it.

:D

Vince

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 12:38:00 PM

You silly Kentucky people.  You should know to us New Yorkers TEH EV0L is Boston area sports.   ;) :P

garbon

Quote from: charliebear on April 16, 2009, 12:46:31 PM
:D

Seriously. It becomes a problem when they go on flaunting their homosexuality and try to seduce others to their lifestyle. I don't understand why they put so much emphasis on sex.