NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on April 17, 2009, 06:39:22 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2009, 12:40:04 AMOh and Berkut's funny.  Since working is now a form of welfare. :lol:

I don't think you sould participate in discussions regarding topics with which you have no experience. ^_^

After all, I stopped participating in threads revolving around parenting after Camper, Meri, et al. shouted down everything I said because I don't have kids so couldn't POSSIBLY have a valid opinion related to them.
I have valid opinions about OTHER PEOPLE's kids. I think they should be locked up. :P

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2009, 03:29:13 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 17, 2009, 12:40:04 AMOh and Berkut's funny.  Since working is now a form of welfare. :lol:

I don't think you sould participate in discussions regarding topics with which you have no experience. ^_^

After all, I stopped participating in threads revolving around parenting after Camper, Meri, et al. shouted down everything I said because I don't have kids so couldn't POSSIBLY have a valid opinion related to them.
I have valid opinions about OTHER PEOPLE's kids. I think they should be locked up. :P

For their safety, predator?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Lots of recent developments on this.

The bill passed the Assembly, but two days ago was rejected by the State Senate.  The margin of defeat was a bit larger than had been expected.  Note the NY also has no civil unions law and is unlikely to get one soon (it is opposed by both supporters and detractors of same sex marriage).

Meanwhile, both the State and some of the county executives have taken the position that foreign state and national same sex marriages can and will be accorded recognition.  This is significant because same sex marriages can be performed in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and Canada, all of which share a border with NY.  A couple weeks ago the state's highest court heard two challenges to this recognition policy brought by an anti-gay pressure group.  Both challenges were rejected by the court on technical grounds in a unanimous 7-0 decision.  In addition 3 of the judges wrote a concurring opinion endorsing the recognition policy.  However, the majority (4 judges) declined to address the issue - so legal uncertaintly about the scope of foreign state recognition remains.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

So they can just pop up to Stamford for the weekend and come back married.

Edit: Maybe I'll invest in a gay wedding chapel there. It should do well.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 04, 2009, 01:54:10 PM
Martiniusism defeated? Good job NY.

It is rather sad that my initial response was "Haha Marty!" rather than "Stupid senators!"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Perhaps you should reflect on your assholishness then.

Berkut

Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

It isn't my asshole that is the issue, Marty.

0 rows returned

frunk

One of my friends worked as a justice of the peace in Stamford while going to school.  A significant part of his clientele are "non-traditional" couples from NYC looking for an official to marry them.  During the busy season he'll have 3-4 ceremonies a weekend.

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on April 18, 2009, 12:49:01 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2009, 12:34:09 AM

I have had a job and paid taxes.  I haven't been on welfare though.  So I suppose Berkut is the only one who can talk about both.  Oh, and Yi doesn't have a job either.  Go harrass him.

You keep repeating this - when have I ever been on welfare?

Weren't you taking unemployment benefits?

Faeelin

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2009, 02:03:18 PM
It is rather sad that my initial response was "Haha Marty!" rather than "Stupid senators!"

Hey, what did I ever do to you?

The Democrats may (emphasis on may) have given the Republicans control of the Senate. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/nyregion/26gays.html?_r=1

Abbadas, who only won by 53% last year, got a fair chunk of campaign money from gay groups, and at the rally I went to yesterday his primary candidate came full out for gay marriage.

I do not say she's going to win. I do think the Dems will lose.

Of course, this is also a huge  :face: to the Log Cabin Republicans, who failed to get a single senator to vote for it, and for Bloomberg, who also claimed he could.

Berkut

Quote from: Faeelin on December 04, 2009, 02:17:44 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2009, 02:03:18 PM

Hey, what did I ever do to you?

The Democrats may (emphasis on may) have given the Republicans control of the Senate. 

Nothing at all. Although I am not even aware that you are gay.

You should bring it up in every single discussion, no matter what it is about, so we can all be really, really sure you are gay.

0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on December 04, 2009, 02:07:46 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 04, 2009, 02:07:02 PM

It isn't my asshole that is the issue, Marty.
Actually, it isn't his either.  :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on December 04, 2009, 02:13:20 PM
Weren't you taking unemployment benefits?
Unemployment benefits are financed through insurance premiums.