NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Why the  :yeah: , derspiess?  Do you think they're going to switch support to Republicans or something?

Faeelin

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2009, 01:56:44 PM
Why the  :yeah: , derspiess?  Do you think they're going to switch support to Republicans or something?

I might. I'd prefer equality over low taxes, but if that's not on the table...

Besides, every GOP candidate for governor is going to be at least as pro-gay as Obama.

(This view makes me  really popular, as you can imagine).

But I suspect derspsiess is rejoicing at the Democrats collapsing.

derspiess

Nope, just enjoy seeing the other side bicker amongst themselves :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2009, 02:02:16 PM
It sure is more entertaining than watching your own party goose-step in unison, isn't it?

Faeelin

Listen, I for one am in awe of the united front of the GOP. You would never notice that the Teabaggers are planning on primarying several candidates in swing districts.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Faeelin on December 07, 2009, 02:12:18 PM
Listen, I for one am in awe of the united front of the GOP. You would never notice that the Teabaggers are planning on primarying several candidates in swing districts.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2009/10/12/Tea-party-backers-target-GOP-candidates/UPI-56481255352449/

I just googled "target of tea party".

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on December 07, 2009, 02:09:03 PM

My party has its own problems.  I never claimed otherwise.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

As a minor update, New Jersey is now voting on this. It probably won't pass, but it's interesting how it's playing out.

There's a huge generational divide in both parties, while for Republicans who were going to vote yes have basically been told "vote no or else" by the new governor. Like the New York Democrats, there are threats of primary challenges, which have some teeth; and the Senator from Camden who's voting no is getting threatened her city can count on far less in the way of aid from Trenton.

Christie is having fun, of course but may be starting to worry about a purge of moderates in the GOP, as has been threatened.

Caliga

Too bad New Jersey no longer has Governor McGreevey  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2009, 02:02:16 PM

You do have to wonder if there is ever going to be a showdown between the Black and other minorities base, which seems to be largely against gay rights, and the gay base or if differences can be paved over indefinitely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2009, 09:33:45 AM
You do have to wonder if there is ever going to be a showdown between the Black and other minorities base, which seems to be largely against gay rights, and the gay base or if differences can be paved over indefinitely.
How could the gays manage such a confrontation without immediately being accused of racism?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on December 10, 2009, 09:35:01 AM
How could the gays manage such a confrontation without immediately being accused of racism?

Point out some of their best friends are gay minorities?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

There is a surprisingly large number of gay black men (if you don't believe me, visit Adams Morgan in D.C. sometime), so such a showdown would be pretty interesting.  I would guess that most of them would side with the gay faction over the black faction.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on December 10, 2009, 09:58:06 AM
There is a surprisingly large number of gay black men (if you don't believe me, visit Adams Morgan in D.C. sometime), so such a showdown would be pretty interesting.  I would guess that most of them would side with the gay faction over the black faction.

Nobody fears the black guy from Revenge of the Nerds.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

BTW, the NJ debate has been delayed after the Democratic state senators who were going to vote "no" for public image reasons had their offices swamped with angry phone calls/letters/emails.  I believe you still can't get through to Jeff Van Drew's office.
Experience bij!