NY governor introduces bill to allow gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 16, 2009, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 16, 2009, 04:13:27 PM
Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 03:36:16 PM
I think it's more of a case of him trying to distract people from his glaring faults as a governor by taking a stand on a landmine issue like gay marriage. Based on his current behavior and performance so far it has nothing to do with nobility.
What are his glaring faults as governor?

His most glaring issue concerns his attempt to crush the various state employee unions for no apparent reason other than he can try. The state is in the middle of some major budget concerns and he wants to play games?!?

1) He agreed to contracts with the various employee unions. Contracts that he signed as governor which doesn't even leave him with a "Spitzer did it defense". Now he wants to selectively renege on all the contract terms. Why? He states because of money but he could easily cover the costs of the contracts without layoffs of any sort. NY spends a ludicrous amount on private contractors that are doing work that state employees can.

2) He complains about money but gave all his personal staff huge raises, he took a pointless trip to Iraq, spent a shit load of money at Obama's swearing in, and was going to Davos (Switzerland?) for a trip until some papers caught wind of it.

3) He claims to be blind but threw a perfect strike at the Buffalo Bison's home opener.

So, basically, his faults revolve around playing games with the budget while padding the pockets of his cronies and supporters. The usual for a politician which I tend to overlook except for now that we are in a recession.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 07:51:49 PM
Unions should be crushed.

I used to think that but now I am a sell-out. Probably had to do with the fact I earned $32,000+ after six years with the state in NC, and will now be making $77,000+ after I reach my seventh year with NY doing half the amount of work.  :yeah:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 08:01:54 PM
I used to think that but now I am a sell-out. Probably had to do with the fact I earned $32,000+ after six years with the state in NC, and will now be making $77,000+ after I reach my seventh year with NY doing half the amount of work.  :yeah:

Exactly. Such bullshit should stop. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Strix

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 08:02:25 PM
Exactly. Such bullshit should stop. :)

You should see what our State Troopers make!  :D

garbon

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 08:04:03 PM
You should see what our State Troopers make!  :D

No thanks. I already hate cops.

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on April 16, 2009, 08:01:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 07:51:49 PM
Unions should be crushed.

I think we all figured that out by the middle of point 1 of your response.

Razgovory

So is anti-unionism driven mostly by jelousy or something?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 08:45:07 PM

Yeah.  The horrible fear that someone, somewhere, might have an organization on their side against The Man.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2009, 08:45:07 PM

Maybe for some people, I dunno.  My anti-unionism is driven by having had to work with unions in the past. :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Strix, it's nice to see you happily suckling at the unions' teat, but that's the kind of fiscal bullshit that needs to come to an end. Why gamble about the markets' psychology toward social policy when you can shelve some employees for a year, and rehire later without an insanely expensive middleman, whose only purpose is to raise costs for employers?

On topic, this is getting annoying. I really hate to sound like a broken record, but the religious whackjobs calling this a "challenge" don't stand to lose anything by gay marriage becoming legal, whereas gays become entitled to spousal rights and we have one less blurred line where the church is interfering in the government.

If I were the sort to stoop to the level the churches have been operating on, I would point out that the only way their arguments against gay marriage stand is if they're against the explicitly outlined principles of our nation's government, and that such a stance would shape them into radical entities that need to be contained.

But, of course, that would be totally Marti-like and I can't be arsed to involve myself in such shit-slinging. ;)
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Why should a person not do what is in their rational self-interest and try to make more money?  I mean isn't that part of the free market?  It would seem that trying to crush a Union (especially with government action as has been traditional) is anti-market.