News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Stupidest Airport Security Stories

Started by alfred russel, May 09, 2011, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I figured some people have seen some stupid things...Mine just happened. Salt Lake City airport. I was wearing flip flops, a relatively small t shirt, and shorts (yes, I am the worst traveler ever). I figure as there is no conceivable way to hide anything wearing flip flops, I didn't take them off. Salt Lake City TSA was having none of that, and made me scan my flip flops (yes, actually scan them).

Then they put me through the naked scanner. Apparently I moved my arms, and they said they had to do a pat down of just my arms because the image wasn't clear. Now the shirt wasn't skin tight, so this wasn't completely nonsensical, but it was still stupid. Had I been quicker thinking (and had a bit more courage than I do), I should have just taken my shirt off and told them no need for a pat down now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

I always wear flip-flops or sandals on planes anymore, mostly because they are so easy to remove.

Jacob

My mental picture of Alfred Russell has been recalibrated.

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on May 09, 2011, 10:09:52 PM
I always wear flip-flops or sandals on planes anymore, mostly because they are so easy to remove.
First time wearing flip flops, and it never occured to me they would make you take them off. Is that standard?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2011, 10:10:31 PM

From what to what?

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2011, 10:13:11 PM
First time wearing flip flops, and it never occured to me they would make you take them off. Is that standard?

Yep you have to take off any shoe-type device you are wearing. 

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on May 09, 2011, 10:15:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2011, 10:13:11 PM

Yep you have to take off any shoe-type device you are wearing.

That is absurd. The rest of the world lets you keep your shoes on whatever you are wearing.

The only good possible reasonable explanation is that the airlines didn't want everyone to start wearing sandals to the airport, and pushed for this so as to not encourage the practice.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Caliga

Stop trying to undermine the War on Terra, ar  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Wearing flip flops on the fllight is like taking your shoes off on the plane itself.  Ig'nant and gay.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2011, 10:10:31 PM

Yeah, I keep on getting this image of the Dude in The Big Lebowski and trying to reconcile it with my former image of Alfred Russell based on his posting history  :hmm:

jimmy olsen

I like airports with the fancy machines, those that don't have them mean I get searched. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2011, 10:23:29 PM
That is absurd. The rest of the world lets you keep your shoes on whatever you are wearing.
:lol: Fail truth much?

QuoteThe only good possible reasonable explanation is that the airlines didn't want everyone to start wearing sandals to the airport, and pushed for this so as to not encourage the practice.
:lol:  Fail logic much?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza2

I had to leave a text marker like this at the security station once. Because it contained fluid. Seriously. That was a flight a week or so after those guys in London (or wherever it was) tried to build a bomb from fluids.