Stupidest Airport Security Stories

Started by alfred russel, May 09, 2011, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Why would sandals be a requirement? :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Asians hate shoes indoors
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

But Tim is in charge.  He should be able to do whatever the fuck he wants.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on May 10, 2011, 04:10:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 10, 2011, 11:27:04 AM
Incidentally, don't you just love random checks? Yeah, strip search a respectable elderly Caucasian lady going to visit her grandchildren on a local flight, but do not as much as touch a bearded imam who bought a one way transatlantic flight ticket.  :lol:
My guess is that the random elderly Caucasian ladies are screened to give the illusion of non-discriminatory screening, but anyone who looks like a bearded imam will also be "randomly" screened.

Thats what goes through my mind whenever I get pulled aside for a search.  If there is a profile out there that says I am in anyway a danger that profiler needs to be fired.

Neil

Quote from: Caliga on May 11, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
But Tim is in charge.  He should be able to do whatever the fuck he wants.
He's not though.  Asians run the school.

If Tim was white, you might have a point.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on May 11, 2011, 04:05:16 AM
The opposite was in a dinky two bit flight from Galway to Dublin. Everybody, including the flight crew, had to take off their shoes and go through the full mumbo-jumbo.
Yeah, but it's Ireland.  If you have a planeload of Irish, the odds of having a terrorist on board are pretty close to 100%.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 11, 2011, 06:28:42 PM

Thats what goes through my mind whenever I get pulled aside for a search.  If there is a profile out there that says I am in anyway a danger that profiler needs to be fired.

Recently at a US airport I approached an empty security screening station with one person behind me: he looked to be about a 30 something arabic person, he had a non US passport (not sure the country), and it looked like it was his first time through security in the US as he didn't know what to do. The security team went over to help him organize his things for screening (take off shoes, jacket, remove laptop, etc) and told him a couple times that everyone has to do this, they aren't singling him out.

I got pulled for the naked scanner, he didn't. My guess is that a lot of the screeners just want to get through their days without complaints or trouble. I assume I get picked for screening for two reasons: #1, I'm usually a solo male traveler, which probably is a risk, and #2, screeners assume I'm a docile guy and I'm not going to make their lives difficult if they pick me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014