News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taboo over the name of God

Started by Oexmelin, April 15, 2009, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

One of my student systematically avoid writing God in her work, using rather G-d. or even G-. Is this taboo usual, frequent in some denominations ?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 15, 2009, 06:38:25 PM
One of my student systematically avoid writing God in her work, using rather G-d. or even G-. Is this taboo usual, frequent in some denominations ?

Orthodox Jews will not write the name of God in any language.  peterlemonjello and Siegey do not on this board I beleive.  Some Christian denominations who do not believe in replacement theology might not either.

I very rarely see this outside of Jews.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Only situation I've ever encountered it is among religious Jews, though not necessarily all Orthodox, in my experience.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

From http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

QuoteNormally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Oexmelin

@ CM & Valmy: That's what I read, but I have / had reasons to doubt that particular student is Jewish.

Valmy

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 15, 2009, 06:45:44 PM
@ CM & Valmy: That's what I read, but I have / had reasons to doubt that particular student is Jewish.

As I said some more obscure sect Christians who practice some usually only Jewish practices may do it also.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Maybe it's got something to do in her family, i.e., parents taught her.

Caliga

I'm pretty sure pete isn't an orthodox Jew, but I think alot of conservative Jews avoid it also.  But anyway aside from Jews, I think Seventh-Day Adventists have the same aversions.

The whole thing is IMO patently absurd, since we all know the name of God isn't "God".  It's like being afraid to call your boss by his name "boss".

Also, I don't think Jews consider it "evil", but avoid it because theoretically someone could take that written name and use it to defile God.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Capetan Mihali

Doing a little internet research, there seems to be at least one Christian who chooses to write it this way.  From a comment on a blog post criticizing the God/G-d distinction:
QuotePsh you evidently are going to hell, no doubt about it. Yeah, im a christian, not a jew. i perfer G-d to God bc i have respect for my Creater, unlike you. I am not a religous psycho, i live my life to a higher standered than you, fact is, you couldnt handle it.

Just know that Jesus Loves you, there's only 1 G-d, and dont refer to the Creator of the breath you breaths "dong", its disgusting and immature.

but then again, i bet your too immature to care. 

http://thecolonic.blogspot.com/2007/01/god-versus-g-d.html

Does it sound like your student's writing?   :P
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Oexmelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2009, 06:48:11 PM

Probably.
Incidentally, she's from Baltimore...

Oexmelin

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 15, 2009, 06:50:00 PM
Does it sound like your student's writing?   :P

:bleeding:

Fortunately no. She's a bright student.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 06:43:58 PM

QuoteNormally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."
So to avoid writing God they write G-d, removing the vowel, how it would be written in Hebrew?  Strikes me as somewhat odd.

And aren't there a number of names God in Judaism?mes for
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

:lol: Good point Spellus, but moot since they'd never write the name of God in Hebrew anyway, which by the way is YHWH.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on April 15, 2009, 06:52:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 15, 2009, 06:43:58 PM

So to avoid writing God they write G-d, removing the vowel, how it would be written in Hebrew?  Strikes me as somewhat odd.

And aren't there a number of names God in Judaism?mes for

You have a heart attack and slump over on the keyboard or something?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 15, 2009, 06:50:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2009, 06:48:11 PM

Probably.
Incidentally, she's from Baltimore...

Probably Catholic upbringing.  Severely Catholic.