News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taboo over the name of God

Started by Oexmelin, April 15, 2009, 06:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 10:36:15 AMNo.  But they might write 'Sp_t'.

The problem is that assorted idiots think that 'god' is the actual name of their deity.

I tried to explain this to a negress at a former workplace and she got extremely offended.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 10:43:38 AM
I tried to explain this to a negress at a former workplace and she got extremely offended.  :(

It is amazing how ignorant Christians are of the Bible sometimes.

'I believe the Bible is the literal word of God.'

'Oh have you read it?'

'Well...no...it is so very long...'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2009, 10:36:15 AMNo.  But they might write 'Sp_t'.

The problem is that assorted idiots think that 'god' is the actual name of their deity.

It is sort of like where the word originally used not to give offense ends up, in turn, being offensive, and is replaced with another term.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 16, 2009, 10:49:01 AM

It is sort of like where the word originally used not to give offense ends up, in turn, being offensive, and is replaced with another term.

Exactly.

Ioa -> YHWH -> "I am who I am" -> Elohim -> Jehovah -> God -> Jiminy Cricket  :)

Neil

To be fair, most black churches aren't big on theology.  It's all hymns and 'GOD DAMN AMERICA!'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

I went to her wedding there, it was awesome.  Toward the end of the vows, the minister started to shout them and the bride/groom answered in unison with the audience.  At the end when the groom kisses the bride he like bent her over backwards and they were literally sucking face something fierce.  All the ladies in the church shouted "uhhhhhhh-huhhhhh, you go girl!" and started cheering.  Then they like danced out of the church, and we went to a banquet hall down the street and had fried chicken and ribs.  A good time was had by all.  :cool:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2009, 11:25:19 AM
:mmm: Ribs

They were spicy too, IIRC.  No wuss rubs for these folk :)

Oh, I forgot about the part where we arrived at the banquet hall and were four honkies in a crowd of 300, and felt uneasy.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 16, 2009, 10:33:19 AM
What if she "refuses" to write "their" and instead writes "there"? It's a fucking typo - if a student does not know proper spelling of words, she should be failed.

But she knows how it is spelled...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2009, 11:27:57 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2009, 11:25:19 AM
:mmm: Ribs

Oh, I forgot about the part where we arrived at the banquet hall and were four honkies in a crowd of 300, and felt uneasy.

You were worried there would not be enough Ribs to go around?

The Brain

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 15, 2009, 06:38:25 PM
One of my student systematically avoid writing God in her work, using rather G-d. or even G-. Is this taboo usual, frequent in some denominations ?

Fail the student. Is she fucking 8 years old? Grownups spell correctly. Jesus.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2009, 12:03:07 PM

Okay, Marty.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 12:04:26 PM

Okay, Marty.

Even a fag is right twice a day.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on April 16, 2009, 12:04:26 PM

Okay, Marty.
:rolleyes:  He clearly signed it "Jesus" not Marty.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM