Classic Who (1st 7 Doctors)
9 (22.5%)
Nu Who (9th thru 11th Doctors)
17 (42.5%)
I haven't seen enough of 1 or the other to make an informed selection
6 (15%)
I'm a hipster poser who'd never admit to liking anything popular
1 (2.5%)
I'm an iconclast, so I'll vote for the 8th Doctor!
0 (0%)
Don't know anything about Doctor Who, I'm just a retard who likes voting in polls (Jaron option)
7 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on May 16, 2011, 01:10:47 PM
So he's the Brannon Braga of British sci-fi?

Actually, that seems a pretty apt comparison.  I enjoyed his stuff (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead) so much more when he was being kept in line with RTD.  I enjoyed the Gaiman episode over the weekend, but I also thought it was overhyped and not the "BEST EPISODE EVAH!" the media blitz was making it out to be.
Experience bij!

Agelastus

Quote from: Agelastus on May 16, 2011, 12:08:03 PM
Producer. Steven Moffat took over from Davies last year. To be fair to him he did write some of the best episodes of the Davies years (such as the superlative "Blink") but in my opinion his "style" does not work when applied to every episode week in, week out. Moreover he seems to be determined to try and top the already over-the-top season finales of Davies; last year this resulted in the series descending into completely illogical bilge water as it progressed. This year the rot has continued.

Did Braga actually write any good episodes before his apotheosis? :hmm:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 16, 2011, 03:01:42 PM

Actually, that seems a pretty apt comparison.  I enjoyed his stuff (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead) so much more when he was being kept in line with RTD.  I enjoyed the Gaiman episode over the weekend, but I also thought it was overhyped and not the "BEST EPISODE EVAH!" the media blitz was making it out to be.

Steven Moffat - great writer (and on reflection I think the "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead" two parter may be better than "Blink" - and they are the three standout episodes of "New Who") but crap producer.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

What do you call the style of that episode?
Sort of...Victorian Tim Burtonish French revolutiony gothic.....god knows what. I've seen the style before, Sweeny Todd sort of had it (Idris put me very in mind of Helena Botham Carter), but can't place its origin.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on May 16, 2011, 03:25:01 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on May 16, 2011, 12:08:03 PM
Producer. Steven Moffat took over from Davies last year. To be fair to him he did write some of the best episodes of the Davies years (such as the superlative "Blink") but in my opinion his "style" does not work when applied to every episode week in, week out. Moreover he seems to be determined to try and top the already over-the-top season finales of Davies; last year this resulted in the series descending into completely illogical bilge water as it progressed. This year the rot has continued.
Did Braga actually write any good episodes before his apotheosis? :hmm:
He was a staff writer on TNG and did the First Contact movie.  So long as he had guys keeping him in line, he was alright.  Then he showed what he could do on his own by driving Voyager off a cliff.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

mongers

The rather nice northern lass who played Idris/the Tardis:

Not the best of photos, but google seems to emphasize her Corry characteristics.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Tyr on May 16, 2011, 05:27:44 PM
What do you call the style of that episode?
Sort of...Victorian Tim Burtonish French revolutiony gothic.....god knows what. I've seen the style before, Sweeny Todd sort of had it (Idris put me very in mind of Helena Botham Carter), but can't place its origin.

The asteroid setting seemed to have some elements of steampunk, but I don't think that's exactly right, either.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2011, 12:58:13 PM
The rather nice northern lass who played Idris/the Tardis:

Not the best of photos, but google seems to emphasize her Corry characteristics.  :hmm:

What does her best photo look like?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

She suffers from what I like to call 'weird English female nose'.

Nice boobs though. I bet they are fake. I'd need a touch test to confirm though.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2011, 05:51:05 PM
She suffers from what I like to call 'weird English female nose'.

Nice boobs though. I bet they are fake. I'd need a touch test to confirm though.

Funny.  I didn't even notice that she had a nose.

Ed Anger

Boobs are nice... but if they have English horse face, it is points off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Agree with Ed. Great body shape, face not up to Hollywood standards.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee