Classic Who (1st 7 Doctors)
9 (22.5%)
Nu Who (9th thru 11th Doctors)
17 (42.5%)
I haven't seen enough of 1 or the other to make an informed selection
6 (15%)
I'm a hipster poser who'd never admit to liking anything popular
1 (2.5%)
I'm an iconclast, so I'll vote for the 8th Doctor!
0 (0%)
Don't know anything about Doctor Who, I'm just a retard who likes voting in polls (Jaron option)
7 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

citizen k

Quote from: Syt on May 04, 2011, 02:12:24 AM
... which would be considered essential watching?

The Tom Baker years followed by the Jon Pertwee years.

Brazen

Quote from: citizen k on May 04, 2011, 02:16:39 AM

No, without some context they'll just look like horribly dated, underfunded crap. David Tenant is probably most accessible, THEN followed by Tom Baker.

Brazen

I can't possibly select given the options available. I'd need some sort of proportional representation. Individual doctor-wise I'd go:

David Tenant=Tom Baker
Christopher Eccleston
Jon Pertwee

And a special mention for Paul McGann.

Martinus

Torchwood is better.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 06:13:44 AM
Torchwood is better.

Let me guess.  Because one of the characters is gay?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2011, 06:22:09 AM

Every character is... flexible.

But aside from Marty's preoccupations, it's a more grown up take on the Who universe. Less campy, less deus ex machinae, less ridiculous moralizing. OTOH, just about every episode is set in the modern world and those are always the weakest Who episodes. It lacks much of the whimsy and sense of adventure that make the original show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2011, 06:22:09 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 06:13:44 AM
Torchwood is better.

Out of six main characters, two are gay/bi men (who end up in a relationship, even though one of them is an omni-sexual playboy from future, who pretty much fucks everything he meets), and one is a les.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2011, 08:38:56 AM
Out of six main characters, two are gay/bi men (who end up in a relationship, even though one of them is an omni-sexual playboy from future, who pretty much fucks everything he meets), and one is a les.

You know you do not have to hold on to this schtick with such a grip of iron.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Six main characters? Are you counting Rhys, or did they add somebody after season 1?

HVC

I didnt like torchwood. I can ignore the stupid plotlines with doctor who cause it's campy but torchwood took itself seriously so it didn't work (for me)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Torchwood is a bit much of a 16 year old boy's take on grown up. Keep it juvenile but add some sex, swearing and guns.
With added homosexuality.

Its decent and watchable but...myeh. Dr Who knows its silly and mad. Torchwood has a bit of a pretense of being a serious show.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on May 04, 2011, 03:59:34 AM
Quote from: citizen k on May 04, 2011, 02:16:39 AM

No, without some context they'll just look like horribly dated, underfunded crap. David Tenant is probably most accessible, THEN followed by Tom Baker.

I dont see anything wrong with starting right from episode 1 of the new Who.  That way he gets to see the transformation at the end of the first season and he can get right into the Who lore quickly.

Valmy

I picture David Tennant whenever I think of Dr. Who so I guess I vote New Who.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2011, 10:49:14 AM
Torchwood is a bit much of a 16 year old boy's take on grown up. Keep it juvenile but add some sex, swearing and guns.
With added homosexuality.

I said more grown up than Dr Who. The guns alone are enough to do that; the Doctor's pacifism is so extreme at times as to insult the intelligence(though that may be changing with season 6, his treatment of the Silence seemed unwontedly cold-blooded). It's still a far cry from Fringe or the X-Files I'll grant you.