Classic Who (1st 7 Doctors)
9 (22.5%)
Nu Who (9th thru 11th Doctors)
17 (42.5%)
I haven't seen enough of 1 or the other to make an informed selection
6 (15%)
I'm a hipster poser who'd never admit to liking anything popular
1 (2.5%)
I'm an iconclast, so I'll vote for the 8th Doctor!
0 (0%)
Don't know anything about Doctor Who, I'm just a retard who likes voting in polls (Jaron option)
7 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

DontSayBanana

Old series for me.  Matt Smith is turning into one of my favorite Doctors, and one of the most versatile they've had on the show in a long time, but the scripts are still so self-referential and/or fanwanky and/or plain ol' goofy that it keeps the show from clearing the last hurdle as far as becoming my favorite.

Going with Pertwee as fave for now, BTW- the dude had more class than the rest of the Doctors rolled up together.  Plus, Roger Delgado >>> John Simm as the Master.
Experience bij!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on May 06, 2011, 03:11:01 AM
I don't think that was Baker's fault, though, so much as the writers and especially the showrunners.  But, truth be told, I've seen very little of the 6th and 7th Doctors' runs--my local PBS station quit carrying the show partway through Davison's run.

Nah, you pretty much nailed it.  Same deal with McCoy- the "Cartmel Plan" went over like a wet fart in a church full of weeping mourners.  The show might have still been going if they hadn't tried to run with it.
Experience bij!

Scipio

Baker, then Ecclestone. 
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jamesww

So what do people think of the new series, series 6 largely set in the USA ?

I've downloaded it, legally, and I'm thinking of watching it.

dps

Quote from: jamesww on May 15, 2011, 07:46:20 PM

The 1st episode, which was the first of a 2-parter, was very good, very creepy.  Unfortunately, the 2nd part was a let-down IMO.  About a third of it was great stuff, set in an abandoned orphanage, but otherwise it was too rushed.  Really, I felt like there were a couple of parts missing.  Also, it seemed like there was a lot of stuff that was just being set up for the future.

The 3rd episode I thought was very good, but most people seem to think was pretty weak.  To me it actually felt more like classic Who that most of New Who.

The 4th episode I thought was kind meh.  The dialogue was crisp, and the performances were good, but I thought that the story was a big letdown.  I seem to be in the minority, though--most people seem to like it a lot better than I did.

Brazen

I had high hopes for this week's Gaiman-penned episode, but it let me down  :(

Josquius

This week's episode was the Nu Who version of Threshold.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Agelastus

Utter crap.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Agelastus on May 16, 2011, 11:59:24 AM

Utter crap.

Going to have to agree with you.  So far very disappointing.  Did they change writers or something?

Agelastus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 12:01:32 PM

Utter crap.

Going to have to agree with you.  So far very disappointing.  Did they change writers or something?

Producer. Steven Moffat took over from Davies last year. To be fair to him he did write some of the best episodes of the Davies years (such as the superlative "Blink") but in my opinion his "style" does not work when applied to every episode week in, week out. Moreover he seems to be determined to try and top the already over-the-top season finales of Davies; last year this resulted in the series descending into completely illogical bilge water as it progressed. This year the rot has continued.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

dps

Quote from: Agelastus on May 16, 2011, 12:08:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2011, 12:01:32 PM

Utter crap.

Producer. Steven Moffat took over from Davies last year. To be fair to him he did write some of the best episodes of the Davies years (such as the superlative "Blink") but in my opinion his "style" does not work when applied to every episode week in, week out. Moreover he seems to be determined to try and top the already over-the-top season finales of Davies; last year this resulted in the series descending into completely illogical bilge water as it progressed. This year the rot has continued.

While my view of Moffat probably isn't as negative as what you expressed in this post, I do agree with the general sentiment.  There is way to much emphasis put on trying to top what went before as opposed to just telling good stories IMO.

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on May 16, 2011, 12:08:03 PM
So he's the Brannon Braga of British sci-fi?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.