[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2011, 01:36:01 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2011, 12:34:58 PM
I also didn't vote for the Bloc. It's also not my party, I'm flaky. I'm not BB or you.

Yet we need more telecom regulation to ensure more competition, not less.
What exactly did the Conservatives do to ensure less competition in telecom?

Nothing but Clement said he's against Structural Separation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

So BB, what are the big agenda items we're going to see in the next four years? What's policy differences should we expect to see with a Conservative majority? What policy differences *may* we see?

Are we really going to get a seriously reformed Senate? Personally, I'm okay with the Senate that we have now, but I'd still definitely respect a civic minded reform by the Conservatives since they stand to benefit from the Senate status quo now that they have a majority.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2011, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 01:50:58 PM
In BC and Ontario they were disasters.

Please elaborate.

Personally I contend that at least the Ontario situation a significant part of the "disaster" rap was due to events beyond the government's control, i.e. the recession.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2011, 01:56:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2011, 01:53:42 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 01:50:58 PM
In BC and Ontario they were disasters.

Please elaborate.

Personally I contend that at least the Ontario situation a significant part of the "disaster" rap was due to events beyond the government's control, i.e. the recession.

And your personal contention is built on what exactly?  In your answer please compare on contrast how other non NDP provinces did during the same period of time. :P

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2011, 01:54:21 PM
So BB, what are the big agenda items we're going to see in the next four years? What's policy differences should we expect to see with a Conservative majority? What policy differences *may* we see?

Are we really going to get a seriously reformed Senate? Personally, I'm okay with the Senate that we have now, but I'd still definitely respect a civic minded reform by the Conservatives since they stand to benefit from the Senate status quo now that they have a majority.

I think we're going to see the various efforts that were tried by Harper, but he could not pass.  Abolish the gun registry.  Pas various anti-crime bills.   Abolish subsidies to political parties.  And yes Senate Reform.

What Harper has long been pushing was that since the Constitution couldn't be changed, he wanted to push for amendments that could happen without a constitutional amendment.  So no changes to the distribution of seats, but senators to sit for fixed terms, not for life.  Senators to be elected, not appointed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 01:58:07 PMAnd you personal contention is built on what exactly?  In your answer please compare on contrast how other non NDP provinces did during the same period of time. :P

And your personal contention that it was exceptionally disastrous is built on what exactly? Please provide an argument beyond "never again" and "if you don't know already, you don't know anything at all."

We've been over this ground already, and you've refused to elaborate at all on why you proclaim "disaster." I don't see why I should go beyond what you're willing to do, especially since I'm happy to be swayed by reasoning beyond "it's true, just trust me."

Josephus

Hmmm...my response to CC and BB got lost into the ether.

It went something like this:

Christ, the rhetoric in this thread has exceeded normal Languish levels.

What disaster are you talking about? I keep hearing that but don't recall it. I can't speak for B.C.; but I lived in Ontario and the early-mid 90s were pretty good. Oh yeah it was lean times, mostly due to the recession and the post Mulroney days (talk about a fiscal fuck up); but honestly...I finished school, found work immediately, got married, bought a car. Christ, I yearn for those days again.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

But I have provided many examples of why Provincial leaders are incompetant.   You have responded by saying you dont think the Federal NDP would be that incompetant.  I countered by saying there is every reason to beleive they would be even more incompetant.  Thankfully I wont be proven right.

Barrister

I dunno Josephus, the whole notion that a single province ws going to "spend its way out of recession", when the recession was in fact a global phenomenon, was the height of hubris.  As conflicts Rae got into with his own public sector unions were just amusing as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2011, 02:05:36 PM

What disaster are you talking about? I keep hearing that but don't recall it. I can't speak for B.C.; but I lived in Ontario and the early-mid 90s were pretty good. Oh yeah it was lean times, mostly due to the recession and the post Mulroney days (talk about a fiscal fuck up); but honestly...I finished school, found work immediately, got married, bought a car. Christ, I yearn for those days again.

Christ, everyone agrees that period of time in Ontario was a disaster.  Jacob and NDP apologists think it was through no fault of the NDP.  You are the first to suggest, with rose coloured glasses firmly attached to your face, that things were actually ok in Ontario during that period of time.

Talk about revisionist thinking to justify a political view.

Josephus

The problem with the public sector unions continued long into the Ontario Conservative era. They walked out a couple times during the Mike Harris days here. The Public Sector will never be satisified until they get full pensions after six or seven days of work. they're leeches.

Rae won power during one of the hardest recessions to hit Ontario ever. Same shit that's effecting Obama now. Like Obama he tried to walk the line between both sides and ended up alienating them both. Whatever happened, I wouldn't say he destroyed Ontario. Ontario survived nicely.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:09:23 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2011, 02:05:36 PM

Christ, everyone agrees that period of time in Ontario was a disaster.  Jacob and NDP apologists think it was through no fault of the NDP.  You are the first to suggest, with rose coloured glasses firmly attached to your face, that things were actually ok in Ontario during that period of time.

Talk about revisionist thinking to justify a political view.

it was a recessionary period. Times were tough, yes.

It's liek blaming Obama for what's going on economically in the USA now.

Oexmelin

Quote from: viper37 on May 03, 2011, 01:34:13 PM
But what about outside the island?

What about it? You quote Lagacé reporting about the PLC?

QuoteWhat about the whole Bloc campaign

The Bloc is explicitely about one community as a polity (i.e., Quebec), which I excluded from my post. It isn't really ethnic: you're really reaching now. What's next? You're going to quote Don Cherry in support for your arguments?

QuoteI think you read too much of Le Devoir.  It's a good newspaper when you're an adept of literature, but it wrongly represents the reality outside a certain part of Montreal and it tends to distorts the fact when it doesn't suit the pro-PQ/Bloc journalists.

And I think you twist everything to fit your usual narrative peppered with your usual pet peeves, which I could easily claim is constructed out of your own selective reading of whatever crap you are reading or listening to. For someone quick to whine about people capable of making their own decisions, and not in thrall of the Quebec radio, you are awfully prompt to ascribe the same kind of argument to anyone who doesn't fit your partisan view.
Que le grand cric me croque !