[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:54:29 PM
The side of the Conservative movement that advocates for government inteference in those matters has always baffled me.

Calvinism.  We can only go to heaven if everyone in the community is God-fearing.

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on May 03, 2011, 02:56:14 PM
God damn Canadians fail at being conservative!

Amercian Conservatism would never fly here.  It is just too irrational and would only appeal to a fringe minority.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2011, 02:56:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:54:29 PM
The side of the Conservative movement that advocates for government inteference in those matters has always baffled me.

Calvinism.  We can only go to heaven if everyone in the community is God-fearing.

I understand its roots.  I just dont understand why otherwise intelligent people still advocate the position.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:58:46 PM

Amercian Conservatism would never fly here.  It is just too irrational and would only appeal to a fringe minority.
Ie Neil?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:59:29 PM
I understand its roots.  I just dont understand why otherwise intelligent people still advocate the position.

The same reason there's so many shrill people on the left--it's a lot of fun to nag others for their moral failings.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2011, 02:43:10 PMBasically my take on Harper's Conservatism is that it definitely has a 'social conservative' side, but not really interested in sex.  They want to support families, hard work, self-reliance, and taking responsibility for your actions, but aren't going to get worked up over who sleeps with who or profanity.

That's a kind of social conservatism I can get behind, as long as it's open to go for results where the evidence supports it (i.e. rehabilitation programs that lower recidivism should be funded, because lower recidivism is a good thing).

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:54:29 PMAnd I think that is exactly why Harper has been successful.  He is a true Conservative in the sense that he doesnt believe government should be interfering in private matters - which includes who sleeps with whom and the results of that.

As long as that stays true, I'll be alright with Harper. Yeah, there'll be bits here and there I'll disagree with, but as long as harsh Social Conservatism remains a hobgoblin for debates rather than a matter of policy, it'll be alright.

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on May 03, 2011, 03:00:18 PM

Ie Neil?

Exactly.

Grey Fox

I got my census form. I'll do the long form just to piss off the Cons.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2011, 03:11:15 PM

That'll show em.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2011, 03:12:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 03, 2011, 03:11:15 PM

That'll show em.

Only other thing would be to make Harper the PM that lost Quebec but I've got to wait 2 years to do that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on May 03, 2011, 03:09:15 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 03, 2011, 02:54:29 PMAnd I think that is exactly why Harper has been successful.  He is a true Conservative in the sense that he doesnt believe government should be interfering in private matters - which includes who sleeps with whom and the results of that.

As long as that stays true, I'll be alright with Harper. Yeah, there'll be bits here and there I'll disagree with, but as long as harsh Social Conservatism remains a hobgoblin for debates rather than a matter of policy, it'll be alright.

Et Tu Yakob?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Neil

Quote from: katmai on May 03, 2011, 03:00:18 PM

Ie Neil?
No.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.