[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2011, 11:19:58 PM

Not that higher sentences are the only answer (though they are part of it).  If you want to get serious about crime I would want to see more money for drug and alcohol treatment.  More supported and transitional housing.  More women's shelters.  More mental health facilities.  But the problem is these ideas don't make for good sound bites for either side.

Next time vote NDP. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Fireblade

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on May 04, 2011, 08:35:30 AM

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/04/the-really-new-democrats/

Left hand column, middle one is the hottest, but in an unfriendly sort of way.  If I have to pick, I like the top left cornor one most. 

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2011, 08:39:53 AM

Left hand column, middle one is the hottest, but in an unfriendly sort of way.  If I have to pick, I like the top left cornor one most.

The "unfriendly" one was I think the part-time bartender who speaks no French and was on a vacation in Vegas during the election ...  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Well, people were whining that the same old gang was in Ottawa and that there weren't any new blood coming through. That's as newbie as you can get.

That said, blasting their lack of experience and their pisspoor background is a little bit hypocritical. People ought to start somewhere, and by definition candidacy is open to any citizen of any background. What do we want, citizen candidates or elitists, white collar candidates? It's not as if the Natural Law Party had been elected, NDP is legit and they have next to no organization in Quebec. Now they have an eternity to build one, it's do or die for them.

Plus it doesn't mean they won't be doing a good job after a while, and they do have the point of being perceived as closer to the population compared to the white collar businessmen and laywers who surf on on their contact blackbooks and get elected in castle ridings in which they vote the same party from brother and sister.

But that party blonde in Vegas... nah. I'm not sure if she even knows she's the new MP.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2011, 08:39:53 AM

Yes, that's the one no one outside the party can find.

Josephus

Besides...it's not difficult work. They're members of a minority opposition. All they have to do is heckle and vote "no." to everything.
Civis Romanus Sum

Drakken

Quote from: Josephus on May 04, 2011, 09:17:28 AM
Besides...it's not difficult work. They're members of a minority opposition. All they have to do is heckle and vote "no." to everything.

And work their asses off 90 hours per week in their riding, participate in parliamentary committees, do ground work, and represent their riding in meetings and cocktails. All of that, while being thrown shit at them by ungrateful electors, medias, and other MPs.

Barrister

Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2011, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2011, 11:05:24 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 03, 2011, 10:21:01 PM
Senate reform: yeah right. The cons have a dismal track record there.

You clearly have not been paying the slightest bit of attention to what actually has been happening in terms of senate reform.

Most of what I heard is bitching and moaning about cronyism appointments when the cons where in the opposition just to have them do the exact same shit when they came into power.

because the then-Liberal dominated Senate was blocking several peices of legislation, and the minority Parliament was blocking Senate reform legislation.  What would you expect them to do?

In any event, all of their appointments promised to resign and run once elected senate legislation was passed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2011, 12:18:45 AM
I'm not pissed off, yet. I'm sure it won't take long though. I'm thinking once the budget passes.

Since you already know what budget they are going to pass - the exact same budget that was introduced when the opposition parties brought the government down, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on May 04, 2011, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 04, 2011, 09:17:28 AM

And work their asses off 90 hours per week in their riding, participate in parliamentary committees, do ground work, and represent their riding in meetings and cocktails. All of that, while being thrown shit at them by ungrateful electors, medias, and other MPs.

It can be either of these examples.

The hard-working MPs work extremely hard, as you point out.

However there have certainly been MPs that don't show up in Parliament, don't do the rubber chicken circuit in their riding.  They of course tend not to get re-elected.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Looks like Viper's riding might go NDP in the end.