[Canadian Election Results] Harper vs Iggy vs the 'stache

Started by Barrister, May 02, 2011, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Reason #3485 why the perennially amatuerish NDPers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the levers of power:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/306347

Canada's NDP Deputy Leader questions bin Laden photo existence

Montreal - Canada's New Democratic Party is now the official Opposition party in the House of Commons after a historic federal election Monday. But the party's Deputy Leader is now in hot water after he questioned the existence of photos of Osama bin Laden.
NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair has made the headline news quite a bit this week. It was earlier reported that Mulcair would take care of newly elected Member of Parliament Ruth Ellen Brosseau's Berthier-Maskinonge riding in Quebec until she learns how to speak French.

Despite his goodwill for the party, Mulcair may be in hot water with other members of his party, Canadian voters and the United States government.

In an interview with CBC Television Wednesday, Mulcair questioned the existence of the photos of Osama bin Laden's corpse, according to the Globe and Mail. The Deputy Leader's comments come after President Barack Obama refused to release the photos.

"I don't think from what I've heard that those pictures exist," said Mulcair during an interview with CBC's Power and Politics. "I think that if there is something that went on there, it requires a full analysis, and we have to understand whether or not there was an action where there was an action in self-defence or whether it was something that is more in the style of a direct killing. And that has to do with American law and international law as well." On Thursday morning, Mulcair retracted his comments on CBC Montreal's Daybreak. The New Democrat veteran blamed his "meandering" remarks on election "fatigue."

"I take full responsibility for the meandering nature of that back and forth," said Mulcair. "I'll put that on the account of a certain fatigue and our joy at our victory the other night."
Meanwhile, his NDP colleagues are attempting to distance themselves from Mucair's doubts.
NDP Foreign Affairs Critic Paul Dewar issued a statement that said his party has no doubts that the photos are real and that they completely believe the U.S. President's accounts of bin Laden's death, reports CTV News.

"We have no reason to doubt the veracity of President Obama's statement," said Dewar. "As (NDP leader) Jack Layton said the other day, we are happy the U.S. tracked down Osama bin Laden. The public's right to know must be balanced with public safety concerns."

:lol: :rolleyes:

Josephus

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on May 05, 2011, 12:40:51 PM
Reason #3485 why the perennially amatuerish NDPers shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the levers of power:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/306347

Canada's NDP Deputy Leader questions bin Laden photo existence

Montreal - Canada's New Democratic Party is now the official Opposition party in the House of Commons after a historic federal election Monday. But the party's Deputy Leader is now in hot water after he questioned the existence of photos of Osama bin Laden.
NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair has made the headline news quite a bit this week. It was earlier reported that Mulcair would take care of newly elected Member of Parliament Ruth Ellen Brosseau's Berthier-Maskinonge riding in Quebec until she learns how to speak French.

Despite his goodwill for the party, Mulcair may be in hot water with other members of his party, Canadian voters and the United States government.

In an interview with CBC Television Wednesday, Mulcair questioned the existence of the photos of Osama bin Laden's corpse, according to the Globe and Mail. The Deputy Leader's comments come after President Barack Obama refused to release the photos.

"I don't think from what I've heard that those pictures exist," said Mulcair during an interview with CBC's Power and Politics. "I think that if there is something that went on there, it requires a full analysis, and we have to understand whether or not there was an action where there was an action in self-defence or whether it was something that is more in the style of a direct killing. And that has to do with American law and international law as well." On Thursday morning, Mulcair retracted his comments on CBC Montreal's Daybreak. The New Democrat veteran blamed his "meandering" remarks on election "fatigue."

"I take full responsibility for the meandering nature of that back and forth," said Mulcair. "I'll put that on the account of a certain fatigue and our joy at our victory the other night."
Meanwhile, his NDP colleagues are attempting to distance themselves from Mucair's doubts.
NDP Foreign Affairs Critic Paul Dewar issued a statement that said his party has no doubts that the photos are real and that they completely believe the U.S. President's accounts of bin Laden's death, reports CTV News.

"We have no reason to doubt the veracity of President Obama's statement," said Dewar. "As (NDP leader) Jack Layton said the other day, we are happy the U.S. tracked down Osama bin Laden. The public's right to know must be balanced with public safety concerns."

:lol: :rolleyes:

What he's trying to say in his meandering retraction is that he was quite drunk at the time.  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Which was quite true. Dude was the sole NDP mp in Quebec, now he's got 58 other kids to look out for. I'd get drunk too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2011, 01:46:31 PM

Yes. I feel this was an issue for me and two or three other Canadians in all, unfortunately.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Was this just a political miscalculation by the Liberals of Franz von Papenesque proportions?  People seemed to be predicting this outcome so why did they do it?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2011, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2011, 01:46:31 PM

Yes. I feel this was an issue for me and two or three other Canadians in all, unfortunately.

Not really. Remember 60 per cent didn't vote for this git.

And, to fudge some figures. Harper only got 40 per cent of the 60 per cent of Canadians that voted.---Which is what? 24 per cent of the country, then that voted for him? Less than a quarter.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2011, 02:08:41 PMNot really. Remember 60 per cent didn't vote for this git.

Perhaps, but I didn't feel the whole "Harper, the control freak who undermine our institutions" had lots of traction during the campaign.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2011, 02:04:48 PM
Was this just a political miscalculation by the Liberals of Franz von Papenesque proportions?  People seemed to be predicting this outcome so why did they do it?

First, nobody predicted this would happen. Most assumed the results of this election would be more or less the same as the last - the implosion of the liberals, the extermination of the Bloc, the rise of the NDP and the Con majority came as a surprise to almost everyone - the "joke" being, most of all a surprise to the NDP, who fielded "candidates" in Quebec who were supposed to be purely nominal and in some cases did not bother to campaign (one was a part-time bartender who took a trip to Vegas during the short election period).

What the Libs appeared to want (or at least what the Cons accused them of) was to make some modest gains and put together a coalition with them in the lead. Since this was the only sensible reason for holding an election, it seemed to make sense.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Agelastus

So, having wandered by again and being too lazy to read over 46 pages worth (or more, if there are more than two threads) of posts...can anyone tell me what happened to the Bloc? Why did they collapse?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 05, 2011, 02:10:56 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 05, 2011, 02:08:41 PMNot really. Remember 60 per cent didn't vote for this git.

Perhaps, but I didn't feel the whole "Harper, the control freak who undermine our institutions" had lots of traction during the campaign.
a good lie needs to contain a bit of truth.  But it also must not be disproven as pure bs.  It worked for the previous 2 election, all this while hidden agenda.  Coming back at it for a 3rd time, with one of the worst control freak Quebec ever had for a politician was one too many times.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Gosh, if I ever have to hear about the whole "contempt of Parliament" thing again...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2011, 03:55:20 PM
Gosh, if I ever have to hear about the whole "contempt of Parliament" thing again...

You're filled with contempt for "contempt of Parliament" aren't you?