News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Live Royal Wedding Coverage.

Started by jamesww, April 28, 2011, 05:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza2

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 03:13:45 PM
Hey if they had let elder daughters inherit the crown in 1901 the Kaiser Wilhelm II's mother would have been Queen and a few months later Wilhelm would have united the crowns of Germany and Great Britain  :lol:
I guess Richard Hakluyt would be a republican then.  :P But I doubt that parliament would have allowed her to marry the Prussian heir apparent anyway if she was heiress apparent herself.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 29, 2011, 03:04:00 PM
Feminists are gonna love that outcome hah

If they do have a daughter first the secession law will probably be changed.
if they can change that why can't they change the catholic thing (or make the grallons of the world squee and pass over old charlie)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on April 29, 2011, 03:54:17 PM
if they can change that why can't they change the catholic thing (or make the grallons of the world squee and pass over old charlie)

Well it will not change any time  soon but we are talking about 50+ years before William's heirs actually inherit anything.  I am pretty sure once this becomes a hot button issue it will eventually be changed because there will be decades of people being upset about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 29, 2011, 03:40:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 03:13:45 PM
Hey if they had let elder daughters inherit the crown in 1901 the Kaiser Wilhelm II's mother would have been Queen and a few months later Wilhelm would have united the crowns of Germany and Great Britain  :lol:
I guess Richard Hakluyt would be a republican then.  :P But I doubt that parliament would have allowed her to marry the Prussian heir apparent anyway if she was heiress apparent herself.

I certainly think that it was a great tragedy that Great Britain and Germany fell out with each other  :(

But, this is Timmy territory  :D

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 03:57:58 PM

Well it will not change any time  soon but we are talking about 50+ years before William's heirs actually inherit anything.  I am pretty sure once this becomes a hot button issue it will eventually be changed because there will be decades of people being upset about it.

There is talk about changing the Act of Succession at the moment. I think it is a good time to change it because, as it happens, it doesn't make any difference to the succession for the forseeable future.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 29, 2011, 04:16:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 29, 2011, 03:57:58 PM

There is talk about changing the Act of Succession at the moment. I think it is a good time to change it because, as it happens, it doesn't make any difference to the succession for the forseeable future.

Some Canadians were pushing to amend our Succession Act (remember we inherited all Acts of Parliament in force in 1867) to remove the anti-Catholic discrimination.  What ws left unsaid is what would happen if Canada thus wound up with a different monarch than the UK did. :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, there are concerns about that being voiced here as well. OTOH the direct heirs are CofE and, unless there are some terrible tragedies in store, the situation is resolved for at least 50 years.

Which indicates to me that now is an excellent time to discuss sexism, papism and all the rest. I'm not at all sure that retaining the CofE as the state religion will be tenable in the long term.

Drakken

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 29, 2011, 04:16:34 PM

In Sweden they didn't wait, the Riksdag amended the law of succession for absolute agnatic primogeniture after Carl Philip was born, stripping him of his position as heir apparent in Victoria's favour because she was the eldest.

Ed Anger

Disgusting. Letting women rule. No wonder Euros turned into pussies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Drakken on April 29, 2011, 04:37:43 PM
In Sweden they didn't wait, the Riksdag amended the law of succession for absolute agnatic primogeniture after Carl Philip was born, stripping him of his position as heir apparent in Victoria's favour because she was the eldest.

It sounds like they waited until after it effected the order of succession to me :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, my point is that we can discuss changes for the succession to the British crown and update them without it having any effect whatsoever for the forseeable future. Of course it may lead to great anger in the 22nd century, infuriated animal rights people will blether on about how the new Act of Succession (2015) paid no attention to the rights of the Queen's corgis  :huh:

citizen k

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 29, 2011, 04:46:49 PM
infuriated animal rights people will blether on about how the new Act of Succession (2015) paid no attention to the rights of the Queen's corgis  :huh:

They'll inherit the palace.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2011, 04:40:09 PM

:huh:

Queen Victoria?  Queen Elizabeth I?  Ring any bells?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2011, 04:53:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2011, 04:40:09 PM

:huh:

Queen Victoria?  Queen Elizabeth I?  Ring any bells?

You forgot Matilda, Mary, and Mary Queen o Scots.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson