And we're back!

Main Menu

Who the hell is an immigrant?

Started by Slargos, April 27, 2011, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2011, 07:02:48 PM
Malthus sucks!  Pass it on!

Is he good, and how much does he charge?

I'm asking for a friend.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Monoriu

When I was in high school back in the early 90s, they taught Malthusian theory as if it were gospel. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on April 27, 2011, 09:09:58 PM
When I was in high school back in the early 90s, they taught Malthusian theory as if it were gospel. 

To justify the one-child law?  Of course you were in Hong Kong so that doesn't make sense...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2011, 10:10:20 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 27, 2011, 09:09:58 PM

To justify the one-child law?  Of course you were in Hong Kong so that doesn't make sense...

No one child law in HK.  It is just bureaucratic inertia  :lol:

Pat

Malthus isn't iron-bound law, of course. But if you read a book like Jared Diamond's "Collapse", for example, where he goes through the collapses of several different civilizations, you'll see Malthus was not entirely wrong either (of course he doesn't explicitly state that his approach to the topic is a malthusian one but if you read it it will become evident).

BTW I don't think I ever encountered Malthus in Swedish schools (except possibly in relation to Dickens or in similar negative light) so they hardly teach Malthus as gospel. Swedish schools do however teach you to think for yourself. There is of course gospel but the lutheran heritage of personally reading it and making up your own mind about it is still live and well.

I suppose Americans can be forgiven for not understanding Malthus, however, considering their history is one of nearly unlimited land rand and resources there for the taking for those with pioneer spirit (and I suppose they must also be forgiven, in a sense, for still seeing the whole world this way - forgiven, but still opposed).

Habbaku

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:15:53 AM
Malthus was not entirely wrong either

What was Malthus not entirely wrong about, in your interpretation?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Pat

I think Slargos said it well: "...as long as you have population growth, you're eventually going to run into the wall. Unless of course the wall can be moved."

Slargos

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:15:53 AM

BTW I don't think I ever encountered Malthus in Swedish schools (except possibly in relation to Dickens or in similar negative light) so they hardly teach Malthus as gospel. Swedish schools do however teach you to think for yourself. There is of course gospel but the lutheran heritage of personally reading it and making up your own mind about it is still live and well.

:thumbsup:

DGuller

Quote from: katmai on April 27, 2011, 07:31:16 PM
dguller can ask for himself!
Is Malthus the most powerful man in the world?  I have standards, you know?

DGuller

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:23:14 AM
I think Slargos said it well: "...as long as you have population growth, you're eventually going to run into the wall. Unless of course the wall can be moved."
That's how I understand it as well.  It's not that Malthus was wrong, it's just that Malthus had his prediction delayed by technological explosion.  I for one do not believe that the rapid technological expansion can be sustained.  I think we're just in the middle of the quantum leap in technology, and that quantum leap is all the last few generations have known, but at some point it's going to peter out.  At that point, Malthus may again become relevant.

Pat

Well we have contraceptives and various means of birth control now and birth rates are plummeting as nations become rich.

DGuller

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:51:22 AM
Well we have contraceptives and various means of birth control now and birth rates are plummeting as nations become rich.
Yes, that could be the second major game changer.  Once humans reproduce at rates below replacement, new dynamics enter the picture.  Of course, this isn't sustainable either literally by definition; we can't procreate below the replacement rate forever.

Pat

LOL now grumbler is going to say contraceptives existed in ancient Egypt to say I'm wrong.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on April 28, 2011, 01:54:41 AM
Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:51:22 AM
Yes, that could be the second major game changer.  Once humans reproduce at rates below replacement, new dynamics enter the picture.  Of course, this isn't sustainable either literally by definition; we can't procreate below the replacement rate forever.

Which is frankly the beauty of the model. Unless we come up with some sort of Deus ex machina solution, we are inevitably headed towards some sort of Demographic Catastrophe, whether it's breeding to the point of starvation like the subsaharans or developing a society that has more elderly than it can afford to support, which is currently happening in Europe and Japan.

Robotics and immigration (for the sake of internal consistency, immigration more so than robotics, since the filthy immigrants are another drain rather than boon) are stopgap solutions.