News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Who the hell is an immigrant?

Started by Slargos, April 27, 2011, 07:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Well I personally think we should welcome the fertility drops. We have too many people as it is now anyway and this a nice non-violent solution. Also: less people = less people to share the earth's resources = higher global standard of living and all else equal a nicer world.

edit: I know what you'll say so please note the birth rates have been dropping in the arab world as well :p

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:15:53 AM
Malthus isn't iron-bound law, of course. But if you read a book like Jared Diamond's "Collapse", for example, where he goes through the collapses of several different civilizations, you'll see Malthus was not entirely wrong either (of course he doesn't explicitly state that his approach to the topic is a malthusian one but if you read it it will become evident).

BTW I don't think I ever encountered Malthus in Swedish schools (except possibly in relation to Dickens or in similar negative light) so they hardly teach Malthus as gospel. Swedish schools do however teach you to think for yourself. There is of course gospel but the lutheran heritage of personally reading it and making up your own mind about it is still live and well.

I suppose Americans can be forgiven for not understanding Malthus, however, considering their history is one of nearly unlimited land rand and resources there for the taking for those with pioneer spirit (and I suppose they must also be forgiven, in a sense, for still seeing the whole world this way - forgiven, but still opposed).

:XD:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pat

Viking

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 05:29:17 AM
In words?

Probably something about the world and it's resources not being a pie of constant size that is divided between the remaining survivors.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Pat

The world is not of constant size? We can grow it bigger?

Slargos

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 06:01:07 AM

You haven't been watching Fringe. There are alternate universes which if we can develop the technology properly, we can access and by exchanging useless mass like rock, mud or Americans we can steal their resources. They're just alternate-us-es and thus have no rights in this universe.

Pat

Well that would certainly change things, I suppose.

Slargos

If we make the thefts small enough from every alternate dimension they will never catch on. This will propel our technological revolution into the solarsystem where we can harness asteroids to continue the dastardly work. Of course, this infinite source of resources may make us complacent and we will never colonize Alpha Centauri, thus risking a planet ending event to kill us all.

Josquius

Quote from: Slargos on April 28, 2011, 06:08:23 AM

You haven't been watching Fringe. There are alternate universes which if we can develop the technology properly, we can access and by exchanging useless mass like rock, mud or Americans we can steal their resources. They're just alternate-us-es and thus have no rights in this universe.
That's what Fringe is about? :huh:
I stopped after the first episode or two where it seemed to be a silly x-filesy show.
If we could access alternate worlds then why steal resources from ones that are like ours? Why not just go to the zillions of humanless worlds.
Anyway, its never going to happen, access to the multiverse would be the end of civilization.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:23:14 AM
I think Slargos said it well: "...as long as you have population growth, you're eventually going to run into the wall. Unless of course the wall can be moved."
Except that this isn't what Malthus said at all.  This is so trite that no one, I suspect, wants to claim it as their own.

I suppose Swedes can be forgiven for not understanding Malthus, however, considering their history is one of nearly unlimited peonage and the idea that resources there for the taking for those with the willingness to use forcel or the ability to collaborate with totalitarians (and I suppose they must also be forgiven, in a sense, for still seeing the whole world this way - forgiven, but still opposed).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on April 28, 2011, 06:24:41 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 28, 2011, 06:08:23 AM

That's what Fringe is about? :huh:
I stopped after the first episode or two where it seemed to be a silly x-filesy show.
If we could access alternate worlds then why steal resources from ones that are like ours? Why not just go to the zillions of humanless worlds.
Anyway, its never going to happen, access to the multiverse would be the end of civilization.

No, it really isn't. But it could be.

Slargos

Quote from: grumbler on April 28, 2011, 06:24:54 AM
Quote from: Pat on April 28, 2011, 01:23:14 AM
I think Slargos said it well: "...as long as you have population growth, you're eventually going to run into the wall. Unless of course the wall can be moved."
Except that this isn't what Malthus said at all.  This is so trite that no one, I suspect, wants to claim it as their own.

I suppose Swedes can be forgiven for not understanding Malthus, however, considering their history is one of nearly unlimited peonage and the idea that resources there for the taking for those with the willingness to use forcel or the ability to collaborate with totalitarians (and I suppose they must also be forgiven, in a sense, for still seeing the whole world this way - forgiven, but still opposed).

:lmfao:

Coming from an American, this is so rich. Thanks for making my day.  :hug: