Started by crazy canuck, April 20, 2011, 04:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2011, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2011, 05:22:14 PM
I've never actually smoked pot. :unsure:

Pot would mix very, very poorly with some of your medications.

I wasn't really interested in smoking it before I started taking medications.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 04:48:16 PMWhy do people always add 'tax it' to legalization, as if that's some kind of carrot for conservatives?

That's not why I'm adding it. I long since gave up any thoughts that I could influence conservatives (or lefties for that matter). It just makes sense to me to tax it once it's legal, much like booze and cigarettes and everything else.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2011, 06:35:35 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 04:48:16 PMWhy do people always add 'tax it' to legalization, as if that's some kind of carrot for conservatives?
That's not why I'm adding it. I long since gave up any thoughts that I could influence conservatives (or lefties for that matter). It just makes sense to me to tax it once it's legal, much like booze and cigarettes and everything else.
It just annoys me that people talk about 'legalization and taxation', like that'll open up a wide new world of revenue.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 07:33:04 PMIt just annoys me that people talk about 'legalization and taxation', like that'll open up a wide new world of revenue.

Some number of million bucks here and there, plus a bit more in income tax as well. I'm sure we can find something to spend the money on. I mean, they pay corporate and income tax on the revenue generated in Alberta, why shouldn't people in BC do the same with the pot revenue?

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 07:33:04 PM
It just annoys me that people talk about 'legalization and taxation', like that'll open up a wide new world of revenue.
It will certainly cut costs.

Plus, it will irritate the living shit out of the puritans, which is always a very good thing.  :)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2011, 07:37:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 07:33:04 PMIt just annoys me that people talk about 'legalization and taxation', like that'll open up a wide new world of revenue.
Some number of million bucks here and there, plus a bit more in income tax as well. I'm sure we can find something to spend the money on. I mean, they pay corporate and income tax on the revenue generated in Alberta, why shouldn't people in BC do the same with the pot revenue?
The money you gain in pot tax is more than balanced by the money you lose in lost opportunities with the US.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2011, 07:45:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 07:33:04 PM
It will certainly cut costs.
Indeed, although perhaps not by all that much.  Marijuana enforcement isn't huge in Canada, and what they spend on enforcing grow ops will still have to be spent chasing illegal, tax-evading grow ops.
QuotePlus, it will irritate the living shit out of the puritans, which is always a very good thing.  :)
But it will make the hippies happy, which is bad.

No matter who wins, I'm always unhappy.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2011, 06:35:35 PM

Tobacco is legal, yet costs more than it brings in taxation revenues.  I don't see why we should add another dangerous product to the mix.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

I wonder if the income made from Tobacco tax makes up for the costs of Tobacco related illnesses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2011, 08:21:04 PM
I wonder if the income made from Tobacco tax makes up for the costs of Tobacco related illnesses.
I wonder if the income from automobile registration and gasoline taxes make up for the costs of automobile related injuries?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 07:56:24 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2011, 07:37:39 PM
The money you gain in pot tax is more than balanced by the money you lose in lost opportunities with the US.

I really dont think the US is going to stop buying our natural resources because we tax the pot that people are smoking anyway. 

The US already knows we have pot growers, sellers and users here.  They have ways of dealing with that.  Ever hear of Marc Emery?

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 20, 2011, 08:52:00 PM
I really dont think the US is going to stop buying our natural resources because we tax the pot that people are smoking anyway. 

The US already knows we have pot growers, sellers and users here.  They have ways of dealing with that.  Ever hear of Marc Emery?
Surely a city the size of Vancouver must do more than just act as an entrepot for natural resources heading south?

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:24:30 PM
I wonder if the income from automobile registration and gasoline taxes make up for the costs of automobile related injuries?

Automobiles increase revenue in indirect ways by increased commerce.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2011, 09:05:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 20, 2011, 08:24:30 PM
Automobiles increase revenue in indirect ways by increased commerce.
Cigarettes increase public morale and reduce stress.