Teaching the Civil War, 150 Years Later...THE MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, April 10, 2011, 10:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

dps

Worst case scenario for the Union at Gettysburg:  the Confederates win a minor tactical victory on the first day, and the Army of the Potomoc withdraws to Pipe Creek.

Admiral Yi

Minie is three syllables.  Min ee eh.  Captain Minie had an accent above the e in his name.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2011, 04:16:44 PM
Minie is three syllables.  Min ee eh.  Captain Minie had an accent above the e in his name.

You're technically correct, but every resource I've dug up on the subject claims two.

From my limited french, I know that the trailing E is pronounced when accented, so it would suggest three... a modern mystery.  :hmm:

I would've said Min-i-é but the dictionary claims Min-é.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/minie%20ball

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Slargos on April 12, 2011, 04:28:26 PM
You're technically correct, but every resource I've dug up on the subject claims two.

From my limited french, I know that the trailing E is pronounced when accented, so it would suggest three... a modern mystery.  :hmm:

I would've said Min-i-é but the dictionary claims Min-é.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/minie%20ball

:hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2011, 04:29:22 PM

:hmm:

Oh, you're still doing the not-talking thing, even on such an innocent subject like this?  :lol:

Fine. You're growing cranky with age, man.

Razgovory

For a while there, I thought we were playing a game where we make up words.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Slargos on April 12, 2011, 04:31:42 PM
Oh, you're still doing the not-talking thing, even on such an innocent subject like this?  :lol:

My smilie was intended as a small gesture of reconciliation.  But since you responded in typical Slag Rot berserker fashion that policy does not appear promising.

Slargos

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2011, 04:46:43 PM
Quote from: Slargos on April 12, 2011, 04:31:42 PM

My smilie was intended as a small gesture of reconciliation.  But since you responded in typical Slag Rot berserker fashion that policy does not appear promising.

Chillax, dude. You are only witnessing the dangers inherent in the over-use of emoticons with the presumption that they also magically convey our intention with no risk of signal decay or misinterpretation.  :hug:

Razgovory

Incidentally I've been playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg! recently.  Playing a random scenario I captured every Rebel regiment but one, and all the batteries but one.  Admittedly I did outnumber the enemy two to one in infantry and something like four to one in artillery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 04:50:36 PM
Incidentally I've been playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg! recently.  Playing a random scenario I captured every Rebel regiment but one, and all the batteries but one.  Admittedly I did outnumber the enemy two to one in infantry and something like four to one in artillery.

I'm thinking of digging AGEOD's Civil War out and playing the crackers. mew.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on April 12, 2011, 08:47:58 AM
QuoteThe first day was bad luck.  The second day was *this* close.  There was going to be no talking Lee out of the attack on the third day. Absolutely no way, no matter how much Longstreet counselled against it.

The South was not close to winning that battle on Day 1 or Day 2. Day 1 went about as well as could be hoped for the South, they broke the Unions initial positions and forced them back through the town.

Day 2 saw them getting some pretty huge breaks, and the only reason they did as well as they did was some pretty stupid decisions on the part of some of the Union commanders. Even at that, the "crisis" of Day 2 is largely over-stated.

I was writing from my interpretation of Lee's perspective.  But we all know about your grasp for nuance.  NUANCE SMASH