Teaching the Civil War, 150 Years Later...THE MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, April 10, 2011, 10:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2011, 10:24:14 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on April 11, 2011, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2011, 04:12:39 AM
QuoteNew problem chief, the Confederate's defeat at Gettysburg can in part be blamed on Lee not listening to Longstreet's advice.

Or in Longstreet's unenthusiastic and flawed execution of Lee's orders.

"[N]o 15,000 men ever arrayed for battle can take that position."  An enthusiastic and eager-to-follow-orders Longstreet (assuming that's the problem, which I don't believe) would've resulted in more pointless losses for the South.

I bet 15,000 SS with Tigers mounting 10.5cm guns (two each) could have.
Probably, but not if the South kept those Tigers tanks in the replacement pool too long.    ;)

Slargos

Given the lack of a sufficient support- and infrastructure, those tanks will be fine looking statuettes strewn about the landscape within weeks. The cost of attempting to get any use of them will only speed up the southern loss.

grumbler

I didn't know Painfully Unfunny was doing cartoons now.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

When I was in school, we were usually taught that the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg was Ewell's fault, but I think that Lee was correct about where the blame lay.

CountDeMoney

By his own account, Longstreet knew that Lee's singular flaw was that when he got his blood up over the enemy, there was no talking him out of the attack.

The first day was bad luck.  The second day was *this* close.  There was going to be no talking Lee out of the attack on the third day. Absolutely no way, no matter how much Longstreet counselled against it.

To hang it on Longstreet for failing to talk Lee out of something there was no chance of talking him out of is bullshit.  And to think Longstreet in any way sabotaged or purposefully delayed the 2nd day attack on the Round Tops is even more bullshit.

I recommend the upcoming 8-volume magnum opus, Robert E. Lee at War: The Mind and Method of a Great American Soldier, soon to be released by Military History Press.

:D

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 11, 2011, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2011, 10:52:29 PM
I watched Gettysburg this evening.  Hadn't seen it in a while.  I hadn't realized before how Lee comes off as a delusional old kook.

Odd-- that was the first impression I got when I first saw it in the theater.  Particularly with the eerie music they played when he was explaining his plan for Pickett's Charge to Longstreet-- almost made Lee look like a psychopath.  Not to mention the look on Tom Berenger's face.

I think they overplayed that, and I would not have picked Martin Sheen to play Lee, but Sheen did a lot better in that role than I expected.  Tom Berenger was awesome, and I'm not just saying that cuz I'm a Longstreet fanboi :ph34r:

You're older then I am.  You probably watched at a higher level  then a grade schooler would.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

I felt Sheen did just fine, and was a much more convincing Lee than Duvall was.  Duvall came across as too craggy, too bow-legged and raw.  Sheen was true Virginian genteelman.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 05:02:41 PM
By his own account, Longstreet knew that Lee's singular flaw was that when he got his blood up over the enemy, there was no talking him out of the attack.

The first day was bad luck.  The second day was *this* close.  There was going to be no talking Lee out of the attack on the third day. Absolutely no way, no matter how much Longstreet counselled against it.

To hang it on Longstreet for failing to talk Lee out of something there was no chance of talking him out of is bullshit.  And to think Longstreet in any way sabotaged or purposefully delayed the 2nd day attack on the Round Tops is even more bullshit.

I recommend the upcoming 8-volume magnum opus, Robert E. Lee at War: The Mind and Method of a Great American Soldier, soon to be released by Military History Press.

:D

He wasn't really all the great during the time he was an American soldier though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2011, 06:55:32 PM
He wasn't really all the great during the time he was an American soldier though.

Performed very well in Mexico.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 07:07:02 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 11, 2011, 06:55:32 PM

Performed very well in Mexico.

Name one american general that performed badly in mexico?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.