And we're back!

Main Menu

God Bless Texas

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 11, 2011, 02:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on April 12, 2011, 01:38:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2011, 12:44:39 PM
good thing.  It will prove once and for all that speed that not cause accidents on highway.  I wish we weren't governed by morons here.  One day, one day, I swear, we will get rid of these idiots who think driving above 50mph is dangerous.

Speeding is always a hot topic here in Norway and the agreed narrative is that speed kills.

Of course, since they rebuilt a stretch of the heavily trafficed  E18 which was cursed by an unusual amount of traffic accidents and deaths, from 2 lanes to 4 divided, and incidentally also raised the limit from 80 to 100 (km, not miles, which everyone was sure would be catastrophic, you can after all die from simply travelling at those speeds since the human body is not built for it) the end result was that there have been no deaths on that stretch and the number of accidents has completely imploded. Who could've guessed.
Divided is the key.  Undivided highways are way more deadly than divided highways.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2011, 01:45:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2011, 01:38:38 PM
Lucky SOBs. While here some place have gone from 50km/h to 40. Gawd damn it, people.

Residential areas? 25 mph is pretty common.
Agreed, and it should stay that way, IMO.  Once pedestrians are in the mix, the speed should go way down.  Anything above 25 mph is extremely deadly to the pedestrians.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2011, 01:51:55 PM
Quote from: Slargos on April 12, 2011, 01:38:23 PM
good thing.  It will prove once and for all that speed that not cause accidents on highway.  I wish we weren't governed by morons here.  One day, one day, I swear, we will get rid of these idiots who think driving above 50mph is dangerous.

Speeding is always a hot topic here in Norway and the agreed narrative is that speed kills.

Of course, since they rebuilt a stretch of the heavily trafficed  E18 which was cursed by an unusual amount of traffic accidents and deaths, from 2 lanes to 4 divided, and incidentally also raised the limit from 80 to 100 (km, not miles, which everyone was sure would be catastrophic, you can after all die from simply travelling at those speeds since the human body is not built for it) the end result was that there have been no deaths on that stretch and the number of accidents has completely imploded. Who could've guessed.
Divided is the key.  Undivided highways are way more deadly than divided highways.

Of course. You know that. I know that.

The Norwegian department of transportation? It's like they're from some other planet. It's too expensive to build divided roads, even taking into account the cheaper alternatives such as wire-railings.

Newspapers have been focusing on road building lately, and it's been one astonishing revelation after the other.

That newly built highway? Destroyed by frost after one year. Will need to be completely rebuilt with new drainage. Politicians are "shocked".

E6 north from Oslo? Built on the expectation that daily traffic would be 11 000 vehicles per day by 2020. Traffic today? 16000 vehicles. Kicker? They already knew that they were working with the wrong numbers, but it was cheaper that way. Politicians are "shocked".

Norwegians love saying they're "shocked".

F16s actually used to fire on Libyan tanks? Shocking.

Norwegian troops in Afghanistan involved in shooting episodes? Shocking.

There's something fundamentally wrong with these people.

Neil

It is dangerous in Quebec, at least in the winter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Anything that will likely result in fewer Texans is fine by me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Nuking Missouri would likely kill a few Texans from the radiation.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2011, 08:04:33 PM
Nuking Missouri would likely kill a few Texans from the radiation.  :hmm:

Not likely.  Prevailing winds would push it away from Texas.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on April 12, 2011, 07:28:48 PM
Anything that will likely result in fewer Texans is fine by me.

Higher speed limits will also mean reduced travel times and people get to spend more time at their destination rather than on the road. It is easy to speculate that this will lead to increased levels of fraternization, and subsequently fucking, which will inevitably lead to an increase in birth numbers. This may not be so cut and dry as you assume.  :hmm:

LaCroix

actually, slargos, if the highways lead to the outback west, then won't that mean white women will have quicker access to the virile mexicans in el paso? we may see an increase of good texans, the brown kind :)

Slargos

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2011, 01:09:17 AM
actually, slargos, if the highways lead to the outback west, then won't that mean white women will have quicker access to the virile mexicans in el paso? we may see an increase of good texans, the brown kind :)

I don't see where that changes anything.  Unless you mean that brown Texans aren't really Texans.

See, whereas I am race-neutral, you are obviously a fucking racist.