News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Bless Texas

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 11, 2011, 02:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

This is one of the few times when insurance industry gets it badly wrong, IMO. 

In practice, speed limit legislations are not a matter of safety.  They're about keeping up with the de facto situation on the ground.  If speed limits are not credible, then you're breeding contempt for law, and open the door for selective prosecution.  You're also devaluing them as a tool of keeping the traffic flowing safely.

Insurers seem to assume that cars go at the speed of the limit, or that they break it by a fixed "overage".  They don't seem to realize that speed limits mostly just determine how much the average law-abiding citizen is speeding.

Admiral Yi

Either Montana or Wyoming had no posted speed limit on some sections of highway.  Did they stop that?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2011, 05:02:35 PM
Either Montana or Wyoming had no posted speed limit on some sections of highway.  Did they stop that?

Montana.

I think the Feds stopped that a number of years ago - they threatened to cut off Montana's funding for roads/interstates unless they imposed a speed limit.

Although wiki says they stopped it because a state court found "reasonable and prudent" to be so vague as to be unconstitutional.  But another source confirmed me on the federal funding.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2011, 05:21:29 PM
with his own hand.

Have you been sent to: spread the message?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on April 11, 2011, 03:50:20 PM
This is one of the few times when insurance industry gets it badly wrong, IMO. 

In practice, speed limit legislations are not a matter of safety.  They're about keeping up with the de facto situation on the ground.  If speed limits are not credible, then you're breeding contempt for law, and open the door for selective prosecution.  You're also devaluing them as a tool of keeping the traffic flowing safely.

Insurers seem to assume that cars go at the speed of the limit, or that they break it by a fixed "overage".  They don't seem to realize that speed limits mostly just determine how much the average law-abiding citizen is speeding.

On that note, I saw an article somewhere that said there's plans to reduce the speed limit on parts of I-95 to 55. Parts of it are already marked 55, which is completely ignored by most drivers.

The big problem is when traffic is flowing at 80+, and you have old people poking along at 50 in the middle lane.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 11, 2011, 05:47:44 PM
On that note, I saw an article somewhere that said there's plans to reduce the speed limit on parts of I-95 to 55. Parts of it are already marked 55, which is completely ignored by most drivers.

The big problem is when traffic is flowing at 80+, and you have old people poking along at 50 in the middle lane.
What gets me is the very basic fact that laws are passed without the expectation of them being followed.  What kind of an idiot thinks that 55 mph speed limit would be respected on I-95?  As someone with civil libertarian inclinations, I find that by itself highly offensive, even without getting to the utilitarian concerns of safety.

viper37

good thing.  It will prove once and for all that speed that not cause accidents on highway.  I wish we weren't governed by morons here.  One day, one day, I swear, we will get rid of these idiots who think driving above 50mph is dangerous.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2011, 02:41:23 PM
It's only fair that Texas should make it easy for people to pass through/get out as quickly as possible.

Pass through on their way to where?  Arkansas?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 12, 2011, 12:50:05 PM
Pass through on their way to where?  Arkansas?
Why wouldn't marti love Arkansas? Less steers, more queers* :contract:

*Might not actually be true.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadBurgerMaker

Slargos

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2011, 12:44:39 PM
good thing.  It will prove once and for all that speed that not cause accidents on highway.  I wish we weren't governed by morons here.  One day, one day, I swear, we will get rid of these idiots who think driving above 50mph is dangerous.

Speeding is always a hot topic here in Norway and the agreed narrative is that speed kills.

Of course, since they rebuilt a stretch of the heavily trafficed  E18 which was cursed by an unusual amount of traffic accidents and deaths, from 2 lanes to 4 divided, and incidentally also raised the limit from 80 to 100 (km, not miles, which everyone was sure would be catastrophic, you can after all die from simply travelling at those speeds since the human body is not built for it) the end result was that there have been no deaths on that stretch and the number of accidents has completely imploded. Who could've guessed.

Grey Fox

Lucky SOBs. While here some place have gone from 50km/h to 40. Gawd damn it, people.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2011, 01:38:38 PM
Lucky SOBs. While here some place have gone from 50km/h to 40. Gawd damn it, people.

Residential areas? 25 mph is pretty common.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2011, 01:45:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 12, 2011, 01:38:38 PM

Residential areas? 25 mph is pretty common.

Yes but here it's a trend, first residential areas then boulevards next highways. In 10 years, it'll be 10mph everywhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.