How old were you when you stopped listening to Pop Music?

Started by Savonarola, April 14, 2009, 12:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Yeah maybe but he is sure as hell not "alternative" either. I hate these definitions, and the apparent need to make them btw.

There are utter crap, which by incident make the charts like britney spears and rap and what have you, and there are a LOT more decent music whose quality is up to individual tastes.

Savonarola

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2009, 07:10:40 AM
Also, I think the way Sav defines pop music is quite retarded. Does music stop being "pop music" after a while, only because it falls of the charts?

In the context of this thread, yes.  I'm asking when you stopped listening to current popular songs; not if you still listen to soul-free dance music from 30 years ago.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Slargos

One of my main sources of music is radio since I do 95% of my music in the car. I am thus subjected to whatever the DJ du jour has chosen to favour me with, and a lot of the time it's Top XX lists.

Some of it I enjoy, some of it I detest.

I think I would somehow have to transform into a music nerd in order to start categorizing myself as a person who listens to X but not Y since X is the highest form of musical artistry while Y is the essence of vulgarity takes-sniff-on-scented-kerchief-smooths-skirts-and-rearranges-whig.

Edit: But in the end, I guess it depends on what you mean by "pop music"

I thoroughly enjoyed the 90s dance wave and I happily listen to its children of the oughties who are in my opinion doing a good job of keeping it fresh.

Brazen

After a helpful Facebook debate, I think I stopped listening to pop music shortly after I went to Uni, around 19. I became a Goth about the time the charts became dominated by house music.

Savonarola

Quote from: Slargos on April 15, 2009, 08:12:21 AM

That rap-metal crap you kids are listening to these days.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Slargos

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 08:17:04 AM

Fair enough. I don't think I ever started.  :lol:

Korea

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 05:35:33 AM
Quote from: Korea on April 14, 2009, 10:03:37 PM
I use to listen to Nsync, Back Street Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Brandy, and etc. That is pop music to me. But I think I stopped listening to that when I was like 14. I've started listening to it again lately though.  :wtf:

Get your own accound, Ide.  Honestly.

:lol:
I want my mother fucking points!

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 08:03:03 AM
I’m asking when you stopped listening to current popular songs; not if you still listen to soul-free dance music from 30 years ago.

Even that's not all that helpful.  I don't think there's ever been a time that there wasn't something in the current Top 40 that I liked, but there's also never been a time that I liked everything that was in the Top 40, either.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2009, 03:20:30 AM
I read somewhere that some AM station are still top 40 format.

Who the heck listens to music on AM anymore?

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on April 15, 2009, 12:46:38 PM

Even that's not all that helpful.  I don't think there's ever been a time that there wasn't something in the current Top 40 that I liked, but there's also never been a time that I liked everything that was in the Top 40, either.

Was there ever a time when you listened mostly to songs in the top 40?

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 08:17:04 AM

Not in Europe. Dance pop FTL. Even rap-metal would be an improvement. :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 12:53:48 PM
Quote from: dps on April 15, 2009, 12:46:38 PM

No.

Savonarola

Quote from: dps on April 15, 2009, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on April 15, 2009, 12:53:48 PM

No.

Then you never listened primarily to pop music (as defined as music currently on the Top 40.)  So the answer to my question, for you, would be never.

crazy canuck

Demographics changed radio.  Around here there are a lot of "oldies" stations that play music from the 60s-90s but very few stations that play current pop.

As a result the only reason I know anything about current music is because my boys play their Ipods through the family stereo amp from time to time.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 15, 2009, 01:44:52 PM
Demographics changed radio.  Around here there are a lot of "oldies" stations that play music from the 60s-90s but very few stations that play current pop.

As a result the only reason I know anything about current music is because my boys play their Ipods through the family stereo amp from time to time.

Oh the things I have to look forward to!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius