How old were you when you stopped listening to Pop Music?

Started by Savonarola, April 14, 2009, 12:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

I stopped listening to chart music when I was about 14-15 years old, in 1987.

The actual top 100 singles chart, except for a couple of names (Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand, U2), means almost nothing to me.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Savonarola

Quote from: Korea on April 14, 2009, 10:03:37 PM
I use to listen to Nsync, Back Street Boys, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Brandy, and etc. That is pop music to me. But I think I stopped listening to that when I was like 14. I've started listening to it again lately though.  :wtf:

Get your own accound, Ide.  Honestly.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DontSayBanana

There's a little bit of pop in the music I listen to, but I always found the notion of listening to music for it's position on Billboard to be ridiculous (school bus rides with the Q102 pop station playing the same "Number 1" song 3 times in an hour just enforced that to me).

I was raised solidly on WMMR, WYSP, and WMGK (rock, rock, and classic rock); I listen to prog, and my idea of "easy listening" where I don't have to think about the music too much is any rock song under 6 minutes long. ;)
Experience bij!

Martinus

Also, I think the way Sav defines pop music is quite retarded. Does music stop being "pop music" after a while, only because it falls of the charts?

I mean, ABBA, Madonna and Queen are pop music, even though they no longer top the charts. If I listen to "Dancing Queen", I'm listening to pop music, no?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2009, 07:10:40 AM
Also, I think the way Sav defines pop music is quite retarded. Does music stop being "pop music" after a while, only because it falls of the charts?

I mean, ABBA, Madonna and Queen are pop music, even though they no longer top the charts. If I listen to "Dancing Queen", I'm listening to pop music, no?

:yes:

Oh and you have shitty taste in music like you do with films.

:P

DontSayBanana

Actually, I was a staunch WMMR fan for years until they brought on Barsky, kind of a Howard Stern-lite wannabe. Their current morning yobbos, Preston and Steve, are grossly unentertaining and make me wish I could just go back to the days of The Morning Zoo.

Best car solution at this point: Zune + FM transmitter
Experience bij!

katmai

Caliga

The Stern-DeBella wars were epic and I'm glad I was around in Philly to listen to them.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2009, 01:00:34 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2009, 01:39:23 PM
Marty, I approve Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Rest is pop. :P
Ok, so Rolling Stones is pop and Queen isn't. Gotcha!

Okay so I missed the Stones on your list. :P

edit: and Queen IS pop of course. But they were good.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on April 15, 2009, 07:28:20 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 15, 2009, 01:00:34 AM
Quote from: Tamas on April 14, 2009, 01:39:23 PM
Marty, I approve Led Zeppelin, Queen, and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Rest is pop. :P
Ok, so Rolling Stones is pop and Queen isn't. Gotcha!

Okay so I missed the Stones on your list. :P

edit: and Queen IS pop of course. But they were good.
Well, half of the albums I listed are classified as "alternative/indie". You can't be both that and "pop".

For example, Rufus Wainwright is not pop.

katmai