How old were you when you stopped listening to Pop Music?

Started by Savonarola, April 14, 2009, 12:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I guess there are a few pop artists I enjoy still...but as I am incredibly neurotic about my music tastes there is no way I am telling anybody who they are.

YOU WILL ALL JUDGE ME!!!!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2009, 01:43:45 PM
Can't be me, though, because I constantly point out MTV2, VH-1 and VH-1 Classic whenever that topic comes up.

VH-1 no longer plays videos and the other two aren't on basic cable.

Here's VH-1's lineup tonight:

07:00pm I Love Money 2
08:00pm For the Love of Ray J
09:00pm Tough Love
10:00pm Tough Love
11:00pm Rock of Love Bus With Bret Michaels
12:00am 40 Hottest Hotties of the 90s
01:00am 40 Hottest Hotties of the 90s
02:00am For the Love of Ray J

saskganesh

I started listening to pop music on AM radio when I was 10. when I was 13, I was living in the city, and they had FM, and no station in my market played pop* on FM then.

* the station that did so, called it "soft rock."
humans were created in their own image

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2009, 01:50:33 PM
I guess there are a few pop artists I enjoy still...but as I am incredibly neurotic about my music tastes there is no way I am telling anybody who they are.

YOU WILL ALL JUDGE ME!!!!

Dude, I like Foreigner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I was done with it by the time I entered High School at least.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Savonarola

Quote from: KRonn on April 14, 2009, 01:37:17 PM
I stopped having much interest some years ago. I began noticing that the artists of the month that I liked, had gotten their CDs or such, no longer had any appeal to me.

:lol:

That's a sure sign of old age.  When I was 13 there was Peter, Paul and Mary special on PBS.  My Dad put it on; but turned it off a couple songs in and told me that one day I'd hear songs that I used to like and wonder why I ever listened to them.  Now I wonder why I ever liked Billy Joel.  :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on April 14, 2009, 02:00:46 PM
That's a sure sign of old age.  When I was 13 there was Peter, Paul and Mary special on PBS.  My Dad put it on; but turned it off a couple songs in and told me that one day I'd hear songs that I used to like and wonder why I ever listened to them.  Now I wonder why I ever liked Billy Joel.  :(

:mad: It's still Rock and Roll to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: vinraith on April 14, 2009, 01:50:00 PM
They keep moving them further up the cable package echelon, though. It's almost impossible to find music videos on basic cable at a normal time of day.

I went to an urban college for graduate school.  They always had some rap video channel on at the gym.  Almost all the rap videos were identical; there were booty-shaking honeys, there were pimped out Cadillac Escalades, the rap star and his friends were hanging out at home and then they went to the club.  It was like a day in the life of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.  It would be a shame that sort of entertainment is no longer widely available.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

The pre-internet 90s were the pinnacle of video making. There was some pretty good shit from Tom Petty, Smashing Pumpkins, R.E.M., U2, Aerosmith, Guns'n'Roses, Metallica etc. Now all videos looks bland and boring.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I still listen a LOT to top 40 music. Granted, it's the top 40 of the 80s.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on April 14, 2009, 02:17:16 PM

The top 40 of the 1880s are still unmatched.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 14, 2009, 02:18:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on April 14, 2009, 02:17:16 PM

The top 40 of the 1880s are still unmatched.

:yes:

Hey!  :mad:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

I just looked up the German charts and I know a couple of the songs in the top 40 from the radio. So I guess I never stopped listening to pop music.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2009, 01:56:02 PM
I was done with it by the time I entered High School at least.

Same. Well, kinda. When I entered high school, I listened to the oldies station a lot, so pop music of the 60s. Then I moved on to rock stations and country stations. Now I don't listen to anything.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach