News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Help Me.

Started by Zeus, April 07, 2011, 11:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

First of all, this was a terrible thread title.

Anyway, fundamentalist Christian here.

Quote from: TyrIts unknowable so why worry about it.

People often stereotype people of faith as unimaginative, uninquisitive, etc., but that takes the cake for being uninterested in learning new things.  It also helps explain why Tyr is considered, as you'll find if you stick around, to be ignorant and provincial.

Quote from: Barrister
When areligious people try to describe how religious people think it doesn't sound like any religious person I know...

Yep.  Which ties into the reason I tend to avoid these type of threads.  I'm only here now for the benefit of the new guy.

Quote from: Ideologue
Something I've always been surprised about is how smarter believers have generally failed to pick up on many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and apply it to theodicy

It's hard enough to win people over to Christ without having to educate them on quantum theory first.

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on April 08, 2011, 05:34:50 PM
It's hard enough to win people over to Christ without having to educate them on quantum theory first.

Because once you teach people about science you knock out a lot of modern Christian beliefs...

Neil

Quote from: dps on April 08, 2011, 05:34:50 PM
The people you should be trying to win to Christ wouldn't understand quantum theory anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 08, 2011, 12:07:47 PM
Are we counting Canadians as Americans or as Europeans?

Neither.  They're either Froglites or, in Neil's case, English-speaking wannabe-American gypsies.  Same with BB, with less flannel.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2011, 07:06:18 PM

Neither.  They're either Froglites or, in Neil's case, English-speaking wannabe-American gypsies.  Same with BB, with less flannel.
And yet you wish you were me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2011, 07:07:12 PM

No, no I don't.
I wish I was Ed Anger, circa 2006.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2011, 07:07:56 PM

No, no I don't.

:lol:

2006 was a bad year man.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2011, 07:10:40 PM

No, no I don't.

:lol:

2006 was a bad year man.

Hey, I'll take the leg halo for a child bride any time.

Neil

No, no I don't.
Then start voting Republican.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2011, 05:06:59 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 08, 2011, 03:54:40 PM
Something I've always been surprised about is how smarter believers have generally failed to pick up on many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and apply it to theodicy, insofar as it is an absolute solution to the Problem of Evil, and also grafts a nice pro-life sentiment onto the Creation.

Btw, the vocabulary of the board's spellchecker is weak.

But it doesnt really.  Even if one accepts the Quantum Theory proposition that all possible outcomes exist in separate realities a believer is still stuck with the problem that God allowed all those shitty outcomes to occur.

Basically, I set it out like this: If one set of physical laws, namely our own (which require quantum mechanics, and--accepting MWI as given--thus all possible outcomes), can produce intelligent life, then an omnibenevolent God must consider itself morally obligated to set up those physical laws, even though evil outcomes will be the result.

Now, I find this to be no compelling argument for the existence of God.  But I think it's a pretty decent theodicy.

Quote from: dpsIt's hard enough to win people over to Christ without having to educate them on quantum theory first.

For these purposes, it's not too bad.  "Have you ever seen Sliders?"  "Yeah."  "Close enough."  MWI is substantially more complicated, but that gets the very basic idea across.

Of course, there are some that claim that MWI is not much more proveable (or disproveable) than God.  Though, personally, from a materialist and logical perspective, Copenhagenesque wave function collapse vexes me greatly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2011, 07:15:44 PM
No, no I don't.

Republicans support spending on time machine research?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on April 08, 2011, 07:30:34 PM
Something I've always been surprised about is how smarter believers have generally failed to pick up on many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and apply it to theodicy, insofar as it is an absolute solution to the Problem of Evil, and also grafts a nice pro-life sentiment onto the Creation.

But it doesnt really.  Even if one accepts the Quantum Theory proposition that all possible outcomes exist in separate realities a believer is still stuck with the problem that God allowed all those shitty outcomes to occur.

Basically, I set it out like this: If one set of physical laws, namely our own (which require quantum mechanics, and--accepting MWI as given--thus all possible outcomes), can produce intelligent life, then an omnibenevolent God must consider itself morally obligated to set up those physical laws, even though evil outcomes will be the result.

Now, I find this to be no compelling argument for the existence of God.  But I think it's a pretty decent theodicy.

Why would an all powerful loving God be in any any way constrained by the natural laws of physics such that such a God must necessarily allow evil to exist.

Seems to me your solution has the same issue as the problem it tries to address.

Ed Anger

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2011, 07:30:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2011, 07:15:44 PM
No, no I don't.

Republicans support spending on time machine research?

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

I am a deist, in the sense that I believe intelligent design makes more sense than anything else.

I don't believe in  a driven universe or that things happen for ordained reasons. I guess I just never found it plausible; my father was an angry athiest himself, who combined this with getting quite worked up about the end times.

I have nominally intended to raise my children southern baptist, as I feel this does them a good service.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2011, 07:33:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 08, 2011, 07:30:34 PM

Why would an all powerful loving God be in any any way constrained by the natural laws of physics such that such a God must necessarily allow evil to exist.

Seems to me your solution has the same issue as the problem it tries to address.

Okay, rephrase: God is capable of creating all possible worlds.  Failure to create all possible worlds, when omnipotence renders that creation trivial, would be to permit souls, or consciousnesses, to languish in oblivion.  How could God fail to create all possible worlds if he is not also loving?

Alternatively, if you deny that it is immoral to fail to create humanity, our set of physical laws is the only one that allows life to exist, and our physical laws require the existence of admittedly crappier alternative worlds, then God is still required to do so in order to create the best possible world, with the rest--including, presumably our own--are logically necessary* side effects, although not by necessity bereft of God's love simply because of their inferior state.

*Regarding omnipotence, I don't believe that omnipotence is meaningfully circumscribed by an inability to do logically impossible things, such as fashioning laws of physics which mathematically cannot create life, and then using those laws to somehow magically create life.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)