News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

God Help Me.

Started by Zeus, April 07, 2011, 11:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on April 08, 2011, 09:07:14 AM
Slarg said "evil" is just a name for things we dont understand.

No. God(s) is the name for things we dont understand.

As science moved onward, it always reduced the reign of religion. Thunders, earthquakes, shape of the world, Earth's position in it, evolution, etc.

So, "God" "Gods" "magic" was always the stuff we couldn't figure out.

I have zero reason to believe that we have reached the peak, ie. we know everything there is to know about the world and any other gray area is God. That is the exact same position as people had when they thought a lightning storm was domestic violence up on Mount Olympos.

So since you've ruled out the use of Snow and Sleet as different descriptors for "frozen H20" I guess we need to come up with an entirely new way to describe the weather, huh?  :hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: Zeus on April 08, 2011, 09:48:03 AM
Explain?

Whatever argument you want to make about the need for a designer of anything can, by definition, be simply applied to whatever it is you are positing as the designer, and hence the problem is not actually solved by the posited existence of the designer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Zeus on April 08, 2011, 09:40:56 AM
Playin Devil's advocate for the religious folk here, but how can you people look at the human body, the precise machine of survivability and adaptability that it is, and not believe that something made it in It's image. The body has countless systems of such precision and finesse that if one thin went wrong it would die, but yet it continues to strive for life. Seems to me that it we would have to pretty lucky for our bodies to have just evolved by themselves.

I don't, of course, believe in that argument, but it's a good point.

Nein, it is a horrible point.

The body is an amalgam of lesser particles whose whole is, as they say, greater than the sum. Is this evidence of Intelligent Design? Don't be silly.

If anything, there's ample proof of evolution in the body, which in turn doesn't rule out ID since there could simply have been a point to that type of creation.

Zeus

I was using it as a basis for all religion, not just one designer, but fair enough.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Slargos

Quote from: Zeus on April 08, 2011, 10:04:25 AM
I was using it as a basis for all religion, not just one designer, but fair enough.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how that improves your "point".

C.C.R.

Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 10:00:31 AM
If anything, there's ample proof of evolution in the body, which in turn doesn't rule out ID since there could simply have been a point to that type of creation.

Indeed.  Hod may have given us each an appendix just so we would say "WTF?"

Zeus

Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 10:05:30 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how that improves your "point".
Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 10:05:30 AM

I was responding to Berkut when he said my point could be applied to any designer. Regardless, I'm an Evolutionist so it doesn't matter much.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Slargos

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 08, 2011, 10:14:31 AM
Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 10:00:31 AM

Indeed.  Hod may have given us each an appendix just so we would say "WTF?"

Isn't it clear by now that the appendix has important work to do for the immune system?  :hmm:

Anyway, it's obviously so. If the man decided to let Furries be, then I don't see why he wouldn't do stuff like that just to fuck with us.

The Brain

I am non-religious.

I also plan a magnificent tomb complex for myself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

As a physicist and engineer my impression is that the only realistic way to design something like the human body is by evolution. You can't realistically write down the specs for humans and design a version 1.0 machine that meets them.

DGuller

God made me an atheist.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on April 08, 2011, 10:49:10 AM
As a physicist and engineer my impression is that the only realistic way to design something like the human body is by evolution. You can't realistically write down the specs for humans and design a version 1.0 machine that meets them.
Well, you are Swedish.  I can certainly understand your natural skepticism about the viability of 1.0 versions.

The Brain

Slargos

See, this is why it's so important to keep engineers from managerial positions or really any position of power. A complete and utter lack of imagination.

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 10:54:38 AM

See, this is why it's so important to keep engineers from managerial positions or really any position of power. A complete and utter lack of imagination.

Get back in the kitchen.