Started by Zeus, April 07, 2011, 11:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

"religion is the uneducated's answer on why the Sun is rising East"

Razgovory

Quote from: Slargos on April 08, 2011, 07:14:49 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2011, 06:47:41 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2011, 01:34:37 AM
Depending on my mood I oscillate wildly between atheism, pantheism and discordianism.

If I was presented with an evidence of Jahweh actually existing, I would probably be some sort of a gnostic, considering him an asshole demiurge.

What I've always thought.  Your atheism is not rooted in your beliefs but whether or not you can suck cock.

How many can honestly say their ideology is not predicated by convenience rather than morality?

Plenty, I suppose.  The Catholic Church hasn't made kiddie fucking a virtue despite it's popularity amongst the clergy.  For Protestants, I don't know.  They changed ideology all the time suit them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

merithyn

Pantheism comes closest, though I do believe that humans have the capacity to create a God (or gods) within themselves to help them during tough times. These manifestations are no less powerful than a spiritual being in the sky, imo, so equally as important.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on April 08, 2011, 07:58:38 AM
Pantheism comes closest, though I do believe that humans have the capacity to create a God (or gods) within themselves to help them during tough times. These manifestations are no less powerful than a spiritual being in the sky, imo, so equally as important.
By 'create' do you mean 'imagine' or do you believe that human belief can produce independent entities?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Bitter pyramid-church-scheme-hating atheist here.
Experience bij!

Alcibiades

I believe in a God of some sorts, but I am unfortunately somewhat skeptical....which from what I hear is unforgivable.  :weep:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2011, 08:06:23 AM
By 'create' do you mean 'imagine' or do you believe that human belief can produce independent entities?

I believe that individuals can imagine a god, which then creates - for them - an independent entity.

Neil

Quote from: merithyn on April 08, 2011, 08:11:39 AM
I believe that individuals can imagine a god, which then creates - for them - an independent entity.
And by 'for them' you mean that they have a delusion?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zeus

Makes more sense than some man pigeon-holed in the sky, forever watching us all, judging and smiting at will.
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

DontSayBanana

Quick explanation: I straddle the line between atheism and agnosticism, because the way I figure it, either "God" is not omniscient or omnipotent, or "God" is evil.

Original sin: The way Christians tell it, God either made a blind spot in his rear-view mirror, or he created man just to be damned.  Either way, I'm not gonna worship that bull.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Zeus on April 08, 2011, 08:14:48 AM
Makes more sense than some man pigeon-holed in the sky, forever watching us all, judging and smiting at will.
Not really.  What Meri's describing is just a halfway house between two enlightenments. 

merithyn

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2011, 08:13:18 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 08, 2011, 08:11:39 AM
And by 'for them' you mean that they have a delusion?

I don't think it's a delusion at all. I think it's very real.

Ed Anger

I plan on a deathbed confession. After I tell my vassals the crown goes to the strongest.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 08, 2011, 08:15:41 AM
Quick explanation: I straddle the line between atheism and agnosticism, because the way I figure it, either "God" is not omniscient or omnipotent, or "God" is evil.

Original sin: The way Christians tell it, God either made a blind spot in his rear-view mirror, or he created man just to be damned.  Either way, I'm not gonna worship that bull.

I was going to say that it's not up to you to question GOD, but frankly, how the hell would I know that?

The way I see it, there is no doubt that Something is there, just out of immediately perceptible reach. What that is, and what it wants (if anything) are largely mysteries to me. Evil is just a word we use to describe that which we don't understand. Is it Evil to knock off a guy if you know that he will accidentally tip over a candle in a kindergarden tomorrow, and the result will be 20 dead toddlers?

Perhaps IT wants to be questioned. Perhaps IT demands servitude under ITS arbitrary rules. Perhaps IT is in fact a spaghetti monster. I don't know.

For the purpose of the Pixelonians, YOU are IT and you are omnipotent, yet you allow them (nay in fact perversely charge them) to walk into their deaths by the millions for the sole purpose of feeding your addiction. The genocide of Pixelonians is horrible and tremendous on the scale which humanity has never seen. Are you Evil?

All I know is that neither protestant nor catholic doctrine makes any fucking sense, and it is perhaps possible that the only way to truly Know GOD is to intuit IT. I've seen shit that you wouldn't believe ( Attack ships etc.  :P   ) and while I don't expect anyone else to understand or respect it, I know what I know and suspect what I don't.

In conclusion:

1. Fuck the pope.
2. All papists must fucking burn.
3. I find your position deeply immature. (Not in the pejorative sense. I'm just saying, it seems undeveloped.)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.