News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Shutdown Poll and Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 04, 2011, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's going to look better?

I think the teabaggers are right to destroy the budget, it's not in the constitution
16 (36.4%)
I stand with our beloved, sane and rational President
28 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 42

DGuller

I really wish that Dems would get serious about tax increases, if that's their solution.  Raising taxes on $250k+ isn't really going to cut it, the Bush tax cuts that gutted federal income were much more broad-based than that.  To be clear, Democrats can never approach the lack of seriousness of the Republicans on that matter, but you'd hope they wouldn't use Republicans as their sole benchmark.

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on April 13, 2011, 03:49:17 PM
The problem is that we currently have an extremely progressive tax system which will always lead to wild swings in revenue.  We need a broader, lower tax base instead of the high marginal rate tax system we have now, which would ensure a more stable tax income than the current feast or famine system.  Curiously, changes in income tax rates over the last few decades have had almost no impact on federal revenue on the aggregate, except for the increasingly wild swings in revenue during the economic cycle.
Extremely progressive?  You have got to be kidding.  Think of all the taxes people pay:  income tax, SS/Medicare, investment income, sales taxes, or property taxes.  Not all of those are federal taxes, but at the end of the day those taxes have to be paid.  Only the income tax is progressive of the bunch.  The rest are flat or regressive.  The totality of them is hardly "extremely progressive".  Think before you plagiarize some groupthink tank talking point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2011, 05:48:28 PM
I really wish that Dems would get serious about tax increases, if that's their solution.  Raising taxes on $250k+ isn't really going to cut it, the Bush tax cuts that gutted federal income were much more broad-based than that. 

Good for you.

QuoteTo be clear, Democrats can never approach the lack of seriousness of the Republicans on that matter, but you'd hope they wouldn't use Republicans as their sole benchmark.

You're a kook.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on April 13, 2011, 05:53:39 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on April 13, 2011, 03:49:17 PM
The problem is that we currently have an extremely progressive tax system which will always lead to wild swings in revenue.  We need a broader, lower tax base instead of the high marginal rate tax system we have now, which would ensure a more stable tax income than the current feast or famine system.  Curiously, changes in income tax rates over the last few decades have had almost no impact on federal revenue on the aggregate, except for the increasingly wild swings in revenue during the economic cycle.
Extremely progressive?  You have got to be kidding.  Think of all the taxes people pay:  income tax, SS/Medicare, investment income, sales taxes, or property taxes.  Not all of those are federal taxes, but at the end of the day those taxes have to be paid.  Only the income tax is progressive of the bunch.  The rest are flat or regressive.  The totality of them is hardly "extremely progressive".  Think before you plagiarize some groupthink tank talking point.

If you look at only federal income tax I guess.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

I think Obama's plan is superduper.  Bleed the fucking rich.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 06:28:31 PM

They don't have enough money to take, unfortunately.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2011, 06:30:29 PM

Then get their assbuddies the corporations.  What's the worse that can happen?  They already outsource, so we don't have to worry about "the jobs", which Republicans don't care about anyway.

Admiral Yi

That would be fine.  Put a plan on the table that bleeds the fucking rich of every penny they have.  But don't put one on the table that reduces the deficit by three dollars and eighty-five cents over ten years.  That number is a fucking joke.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2011, 06:13:24 PM
You're a kook.
Based on that?  I mean, obviously Dorsey is a kook, but no one can deny that the Republican tax strategies haven't been very successful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on April 13, 2011, 06:50:33 PM
Based on that?  I mean, obviously Dorsey is a kook, but no one can deny that the Republican tax strategies haven't been very successful.

I take it back.  Me culpa.  I thought he said Democrats were more serious about deficit reduction.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2011, 06:44:29 PM

That would be fine.  Put a plan on the table that bleeds the fucking rich of every penny they have.  But don't put one on the table that reduces the deficit by three dollars and eighty-five cents over ten years.  That number is a fucking joke.

The staggering, apocalyptic cuts in the deficit the GOP are parroting (without revenue increases, of course) would be too destabilizing. 
It has to go nice and slow, so's you don't feel it coming out as much.

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 06:34:25 PM

Then get their assbuddies the corporations.  What's the worse that can happen?  They already outsource, so we don't have to worry about "the jobs", which Republicans don't care about anyway.

So taxing, say, 75% of the profits of corporations and, say, 90% of income of "the rich" should cover the deficit, right?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Habbaku on April 13, 2011, 06:58:36 PM

So taxing, say, 75% of the profits of corporations and, say, 90% of income of "the rich" should cover the deficit, right?

This is going into goofytown now.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Habbaku on April 13, 2011, 06:58:36 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 06:34:25 PM

Well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=661pi6K-8WQ this is a graphic illustration how this is of course utter nonsense.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2011, 06:56:23 PM
The staggering, apocalyptic cuts in the deficit the GOP are parroting (without revenue increases, of course) would be too destabilizing. 
It has to go nice and slow, so's you don't feel it coming out as much.

You know what would be destabalizing?  A junk rating on Treasuries, that's what.