News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 04:25:10 PM
I'm getting closer and closer to getting him neutered and then getting him a mate.

Neutering is better sooner than later.

Brazen

Sorry Crazy Ivan. Hope the perpetrator can't sleep for, well, ever after that :console:

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 19, 2015, 05:16:16 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 19, 2015, 04:25:10 PM
I'm getting closer and closer to getting him neutered and then getting him a mate.

Neutering is better sooner than later.
Do both, ASAP.

Brazen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2015, 10:09:19 PM
Update on Taffy, please.
Barf is now intermittent and we both slept through the night last night. He's now sufficiently sparky to spit out his pills hidden in even the tastiest morsel, so it's back to shoving them down his gob. Always a delightful start to the day. Still seemingly hungry but not interested in his food. I have to lie in the hallway next to his bowl tapping it like a mug until he eats one mouthful. At a time. Then wanders away for a bit. I do wonder if he was brought up a lone cat left to eat on his own time. Now Harley, there's a competitive eating cat.

Blood test tomorrow to check whether he has any liver or kidney problems which apparently the hyperthyroidism can mask. Based on the number of owners who report similar, surely the rate of these kinds of diseases is even higher than in humans?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 19, 2015, 04:37:47 PM
some jerk ran over our cat yesterday in plain view (mine to be more precise). A-hole didn't even bother to stop despite me being in plain view and signalling. Our furry familymember died later that day while being prepped for surgery.  :(  :mad:

like Norgy said: "Cats are brilliant. People much less so."

People are fucked up.  Sorry for your loss, Ivan.

KRonn

some jerk ran over our cat yesterday in plain view (mine to be more precise). A-hole didn't even bother to stop despite me being in plain view and signalling. Our furry familymember died later that day while being prepped for surgery.  :(  :mad:

Sorry to hear that. I guess at least your kids didn't see it happen.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on January 19, 2015, 05:43:07 PM
Based on the number of owners who report similar, surely the rate of these kinds of diseases is even higher than in humans?

Hyperthyroidism and diabetes are the biggest issues for older cats, particularly house cats.  I tend to think the prevalence of hyperthyroidism in cats is due to commercial cat food.

Razgovory

some jerk ran over our cat yesterday in plain view (mine to be more precise). A-hole didn't even bother to stop despite me being in plain view and signalling. Our furry familymember died later that day while being prepped for surgery.  :( :mad:

That's a legally valid reason to beat the living shit out someone.  Take a crowbar.  It lasts longer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

This sucks. I'm sorry, Crazy Ivan. :(

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2015, 09:18:45 PM
Sorry to hear that. I guess at least your kids didn't see it happen.

yeah, there's that. Small favours I guess.

Thanks everyone.

Ed Anger

The black cat that likes to hang around seems to have become a permanent fixture in my sun room.

Leading the naming race is 'Spook'.

RACISS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

:(

QuoteDraven Rodriguez, Teen Behind Viral 'Laser Cat' Yearbook Photo, Dies at 17

An upstate New York teen who became an Internet sensation last fall after petitioning his school to let him appear in a senior yearbook photo with his cat has died after apparently taking his own life, according to police and the teen's parents.

Draven Rodriguez, 17, was a senior at Schenectady High School when his petition for his yearbook photo to feature him and his beloved rescue cat, Mr. Bigglesworth, against a blue and pink laser background went viral. The petition gained thousands of signatures online after the school initially refused.

While the school did ultimately reject the individual photo, Schenectady High School Principal Diane Wilkinson embraced the student's vision and allowed a photo of herself and her rescue dog alongside Rodriguez and his cat to appear on her page in the yearbook, according to TODAY. Rodriguez, Wilkinson and yearbook photographers, Vincent and Fran Giordano of Trinacria Photography, said they hoped the publicity from the photo would raise awareness for rescue animals and their care.

The Schenectady Police Department said they responded to a suicide of a Schenectady High School student, but it remained unclear Saturday what led Rodriguez to take his own life. Police referred to a report in the Times Union, in which Rodriguez's parents confirmed his death at his home on Thursday. "He made friends wherever he went," Jonathan Stewart, Rodriguez's father, told the newspaper. "He had friends all over the country — people he'd met at youth-leadership conferences, online, just around town."

Regarding the famous yearbook photo, Stewart said, "He wasn't trying to stir things up with it. He honestly just wanted a silly photo because he had a great sense of humor."

Friends posted tributes to Rodriguez on his social media accounts Saturday afternoon, expressing condolences and shock. "We have all lost a smile in the hallway, a great friend, and an incredible mind," fellow student Erin Thiessen said. "Rest in peace, Draven Rodriguez."

Martinus

Sucks. I wonder if kids these days kill themselves more often than in the past or is it more widely reported? Because at least on gay media there is like a teen suicide reported each week or so. Not saying he killed himself because he was gay, obviously.

Martinus

So I turn around and there's this in my kitchen. Sitting on the coffee machine. :huh:

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2015, 03:41:14 PM
So I turn around and there's this in my kitchen. Sitting on the coffee machine. :huh:

Well, what the fuck are you waiting for? Make him some coffee already!

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius