News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

"It's inevitable when you buy the pet. You're supposed to know it in the pet shop. It's going to end badly. You are purchasing a small tragedy." – George Carlin

Valmy

Unless you buy one of those birds that live 70 years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2015, 11:58:00 PM

Wow, that's sexist.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2015, 11:58:00 PM

Or a tortoise. Or an elephant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 13, 2015, 05:04:16 PM
Aw man, this sucks pretty hard.  About five years ago, I rescued a little grey puffball kitten from some bushes in front of my bedroom window (he was being loud).  We couldn't acquire any more cats, so I gave him to my mom, who loves them, and loved this little guy.  He cuddles with her and all that, she's not alone in her house anymore, etcetc.

Anyway, now the bad part:  Bandit just had his second surgery in two years for some sort of crystals in his bladder, and it really doesn't look like they're going to be able to help him other than by operating on him, which isn't really a good long term strategy.  Basically, he's going to die inside of a year, and it's going to absolutely crush my mom, and it's my fault, and that's just no good.  Ugh.  :(  Probably would have been better to give him to a no kill shelter or something.  I just didn't think about what would happen to her if this little guy kicked it early, because what kind of weirdo thinks about that kind of thing when they're playing around with a kitten?

:(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on March 15, 2015, 09:30:28 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 13, 2015, 05:04:16 PM
Aw man, this sucks pretty hard.  About five years ago, I rescued a little grey puffball kitten from some bushes in front of my bedroom window (he was being loud).  We couldn't acquire any more cats, so I gave him to my mom, who loves them, and loved this little guy.  He cuddles with her and all that, she's not alone in her house anymore, etcetc.

Anyway, now the bad part:  Bandit just had his second surgery in two years for some sort of crystals in his bladder, and it really doesn't look like they're going to be able to help him other than by operating on him, which isn't really a good long term strategy.  Basically, he's going to die inside of a year, and it's going to absolutely crush my mom, and it's my fault, and that's just no good.  Ugh.  :(  Probably would have been better to give him to a no kill shelter or something.  I just didn't think about what would happen to her if this little guy kicked it early, because what kind of weirdo thinks about that kind of thing when they're playing around with a kitten?

:(

You gave the animal a far better quality of life than it would've had otherwise, even if for a short time.  :cheers:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

FunkMonk

My cat, Bertie, succumbed to FeLV and passed away today. He was almost three years old.

I knew this day would come when he tested positive for FeLV after I adopted him. I tried to give him as good a life as I could. I will miss him dearly.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Damn it, Funk I'm sorry.  :cry:  I remember when you adopted him, it sure as hell didn't seem like 3 years ago; I remember that he was the clone of my cat Pepper.  How long did you know he had the FeLV?

He does look as happy as a cat can look though. :hug:

FunkMonk

I got him in October of 2012 when he was around two months old. A friend of a friend found him as a stray and I took him in. Took him to the vet soon after to get him tested and all that stuff. That's when I found out.

He was a wonderful and happy cat.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadImmortalMan

Wow only three years...

Poor kitty.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

I'm very sorry to hear that, FunkMonk, but you gave him a happy life. :console:

MadBurgerMaker

Poor IV is having some trouble peeing, or holding her pee, or something of that nature.  Every time she feels even the slightest urge, she has to try, but she only squeezes out a little drop, and sometimes it's bloody.  She got an antibiotic and painkiller shot earlier today and it doesn't seem to be having any sort of effect yet.   :(  No stones or anything like that.  The vet says its happening because she's stressed out and might give her (seriously) Prozac if it doesn't improve over the remainder of the weekend. 

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.