News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Cat Megathread

Started by CountDeMoney, April 02, 2011, 06:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

NOW Taffy's got his appetite back, probably because I spent the hours I usually enjoy sleeping cleaning up his sick, including his pill this morning. Going to microwave some generic frozen white fish for him and Harley tonight. I hate the fact the medicine that keeps him alive makes him so ill. Going to call his camp Australian vet tomorrow; I might have to bite the bullet and put the op on credit. My dad is all for letting nature take its course when pets are ill.

CountDeMoney

Update on Taffy, please.

Meanwhile:

Quote'Dead' Frozen Cat Makes Miraculous Recovery

A once-frozen feline is being hailed as a miracle cat after surviving on his own in bitter winter temperatures for 17 days.

"This cat, by all accounts in my mind, should be dead," Greg Willey, the director of the Friendship Animal Protective League (APL) told Ohio station WKYC. "The fact that this cat is still alive is miraculous."

When a woman in Elyria, Ohio, found the 10-year-old orange tabby Thursday, the animal was completely frozen to the ground. She took him to the Friendship APL, who, in turn, rushed him to a nearby veterinary hospital.

https://www.thedodo.com/-frozen-miracle-cat-937947787.html

Looks like Rufus, Marti.

Ed Anger

Kitten survives in Van wheel well:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Norgy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2912331/Stray-cat-saves-Russian-baby-abandoned-freezing-hallway-keeping-warm.html

Cats are brilliant. People much less so.

QuoteAn abandoned newborn baby was saved from freezing to death by the unlikeliest of hero - a stray cat.

The tabby named Marsha climbed into the box the infant had been dumped in and kept the child warm for several hours as the mercury plunged below zero.

Residents in the block of flats found the unusual surrogate curled around the freezing boy and licking his face after being alerted by his cries.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2015, 10:09:19 PM
Update on Taffy, please.

Meanwhile:

Quote'Dead' Frozen Cat Makes Miraculous Recovery

A once-frozen feline is being hailed as a miracle cat after surviving on his own in bitter winter temperatures for 17 days.

"This cat, by all accounts in my mind, should be dead," Greg Willey, the director of the Friendship Animal Protective League (APL) told Ohio station WKYC. "The fact that this cat is still alive is miraculous."

When a woman in Elyria, Ohio, found the 10-year-old orange tabby Thursday, the animal was completely frozen to the ground. She took him to the Friendship APL, who, in turn, rushed him to a nearby veterinary hospital.

https://www.thedodo.com/-frozen-miracle-cat-937947787.html

Looks like Rufus, Marti.

So that's where he has been all this time.  :hmm:

Rufus has blue eyes, by the way. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Norgy on January 19, 2015, 05:54:06 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2912331/Stray-cat-saves-Russian-baby-abandoned-freezing-hallway-keeping-warm.html

Cats are brilliant. People much less so.

QuoteAn abandoned newborn baby was saved from freezing to death by the unlikeliest of hero - a stray cat.

The tabby named Marsha climbed into the box the infant had been dumped in and kept the child warm for several hours as the mercury plunged below zero.

Residents in the block of flats found the unusual surrogate curled around the freezing boy and licking his face after being alerted by his cries.

Was the cat saving the baby or preparing to eat it?  :hmm:

Norgy

Yes, and yes. From experience, it was probably just seeking warmth itself and found something about its own size, and just pawed at the toddler and fell asleep.

And cardboard boxes are, from my own experience with cats, meant to be inside. So are plastic bags, book shelves, pillow covers and whatnot.

Martinus

Rufus's favourite playtime recently is around 10-11 p.m. on a weekday, when I am already in bed. He then gets on the quilt and frolics around, jumping and rolling (occassionally falling off the bed). If I fall asleep, the little fucker keeps jumping over my body from one side of the bed to the next. If I throw him out and close the door to the bedroom, he sits outside and wails.  :P

Norgy

Yeah, they are good at wailing.
And a closed door, even a closed cupboard, is the greatest offense you can give a cat. Ideally, the world would consist of toes to catch, open doors, food all the time, eternal night without rain or snow and cats that are slightly smaller and don't give much of a fight. And hedgehogs. Always hedgehogs. Monsen's got a real thing for them. Just sitting there watching them, thinking 'wow, how can they be so slow', then getting a lesson when he tries to paw one of them. Back to observing.

In winter, like now, he's a fairly docile creature, but still spends around 4 hours a day outdoors as long as the temperature isn't below C -10. Do you let Rufus out, Marty?

Gotta remember that cats need playtime. Either they get it by being outdoors, or you play with them one hour or so a day.

Martinus

Not letting him out, no. But I do try to play with him daily, though probably not for one hour each day. He does get a lot of fun out of his contraption though.

I'm getting closer and closer to getting him neutered and then getting him a mate.

Crazy_Ivan80

some jerk ran over our cat yesterday in plain view (mine to be more precise). A-hole didn't even bother to stop despite me being in plain view and signalling. Our furry familymember died later that day while being prepped for surgery.  :(  :mad:

like Norgy said: "Cats are brilliant. People much less so."

DGuller

PDH

Sorry. Doesn't mean much but I know how you feel.    :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 19, 2015, 04:37:47 PM
some jerk ran over our cat yesterday in plain view (mine to be more precise). A-hole didn't even bother to stop despite me being in plain view and signalling. Our furry familymember died later that day while being prepped for surgery.  :(  :mad:

like Norgy said: "Cats are brilliant. People much less so."

I am very, very sorry for your loss. It's like losing a family member.  :(
And it's one of my greatest fears and my perennial nightmare. That my deaf cat gets run over.
Shitty behaviour like that just adds insult to injury and grief. I really feel for you. It just isn't okay.